Need help with usb trouble

stoneliberated

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Ok so I built a computer today for a friend. It's using the MSI Gaming 5 Z97 motherboard with Windows 10. The pc will recognize the old style keyboard input but it wont recognize a standard usb mouse/keyboard. I have tried reinstalling Windows 10 with no solution. I do notice that when I plug a mouse into one of the usb ports that the laser on the bottom lights up for a brief second, but thats it. I cant navigate the MSI dvd menu with a keyboard for some reason to install the drivers i need and it wond recognize a flash drive to install from that. Need some help:(

Solution

Hey bud,

That stinks. I certainly wish we could have got it up and running. By the way, how did you get the mouse working?

I also went ahead and unselected the "Pick as the solution" you gave me since I was unable to find a solution for ya.

Best of luck with the next board. If the next MSI board gives you any trouble, ya might want to consider another brand. :whistle:
First of all go into the bios of the motherboard.
If you can enable the option of detect usb legacy devices.

If you click on your advanced bios menu option.

Under the devices menu.

There will be a list of Usb ports in that secton.
On some motherboards you can select how many usb ports are enabled on the mother board if it can support 14 or more usb ports.

You should also have a compatibility support mode in your bios CMS for short.
You should if the option exists set the mode to full initialization so all ports are active before windows 10 loads.
Save the changes you have made before you exit your bios.

And all of your usb ports should work.
Be aware that some keyboards and mice don`t support usb 3.0 standards and you should always connect them to a usb 2.0 spec port for better compatibility.

You will most likely off the motherboard driver cd have to install usb 2.0 drivers, and the newer usb 3.0 drivers.

Just to let you know- You can navigate around the support DVD using your keyboard. Simply use the up and down arrow keys, the right and left arrow keys, till you have highlighted what it is you want to click to open. Once you have an item highlighted, click the enter key to open it, including .exe files to run an installation, such as your drivers.

stoneliberated

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Its the MSI driver and software setup window. I don't know how to navigate the window so I can check the boxes on the drivers i need to install with just a keyboard.

stoneliberated

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

For some reason when i turn on the pc, sometimes it will power on for a second or two and then power off...and then on for a second or two and power off.

Well, if the mouse works in BIOS you can try Shaun o's solution above if you want. I am just puzzled as to why Windows 10 don't have generic USB driver support on at least some of the ports. I am tired and probably overlooking something simple. It's late here and going to have to run in a bit.

stoneliberated

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead and RMA the board. I got the mouse working but It wont let me install the network adapter driver because it says the hardware is not there. I've had nothing but trouble out of this board so far. I did an identical build a few months ago and had no issues. Thanks for all your help:)