Need help wth my Samsung T220

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lewaxe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
This is absoutely a driver issue as I have 2 of these monitors, when i use my old 8800gts 512, both do digital no sweat, switch to my new gtx 550ti and neither will work on it. Also tried brining over my gts to a friends place who has a 550ti from another manuf. and when i swapped out for the gts, it worked in digital as well.
Did this on windows 7 AND windows 8

I still do not have a fix, unless you count downgrading to my previous card.

MariosN

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Download from Samsung site the MagicTune software. Then go to Options- MagicKey and put the "tick" inside the little box so you can Use the MagiKey. That fixed my problem cause as NickLagis said its a problem with the side buttons panel of the monitor and this solution does not requires to open the monitor and take off the ribbon.

nicococo

Reputable
May 6, 2014

Hi mario i have done what you say, but the problem persist.... What is exactly magickey and how do you use it? THANKS!

For other people that opened their monitor is it hard to do it?

Larry Goulet

Reputable
May 18, 2014

My T220 monitor had the same problem. It is definitely a hardware problem with the side panel buttons when they are plugged in.
To open your monitor do the following:
1- Pull the base out of the monitor. It will slide straight out toward the bottom.
2- Remove the two screws that was under the steel plate of the stand.
3- Using a dull kitchen knife pry the back cover off the screen.
4- Just below the side panel buttons you will see a small ribbon cable. The ribbon cable can be unplugged at the small circuit board that is under the white plastic. The ribbon cable won't unplug at the button end.
5- There is two plastic catches and a screw that hold the white piece down.
6- Pry the white plastic while releasing the catches and you will see the ribbon cable plugged in the board.
7- Pry each side of the connector to work it loose and your done.

nicococo

Reputable
May 6, 2014

Hello Larry! I just did what you said, it was a bit hard to me (im a designer, i never did anything with hardware), but it TOTALLY WORKED! At least by now!
I cant say enought times thanks to you and the other guys that posted the solution!!
I've worked with this problem for 5 years, i did all my university stuff with this, and it was incredible how much i suffered when i was working for something for the next day and the monitor shutted off, i usually went and drink some tea, come back and it stayed on for like 30 mins and then again...

So thank you very much again, you made someone from a little country called Uruguay very happy!

PS: If someone have the same problem and need help just send me an email, im not a technician but maybe i can help you!

mcscom

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Hey all. Realize this is probably a super dead thread but I found an easy fix for this one. Given what others had posted about disconnecting the side panel, I wondered if holding down the menu button might accomplish the same thing. It turns out to work, so I shoved a toothpick in to jam the button... and no more switching. The LED flashes now, but the monitor seems to work fine.

TL;DR - For those who do not feel like taking apart the monitor, jamming the menu button seems to work.

akiraware

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Thanks for the info, I still had two T220 in use, and this week I fixed one using your instruction :)

MuratMD

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
Hi guys;
I had the same problem with my Samsung Syncmaster 2243BW monitor. It was turning black especially when watching movies or videos either from DVD or on internet. I tried everything I read. Updated my graphics cards, changed the DVI cable, tried it with VGA, reinstalled NVIDIA components. I even tried to open the monitor for checking those ribbons. I just couldn't manage opening it. Nothing helped at all.
But yesterday I found the solution. First, I installed a simple and free program for monitoring the fan temperatures. There I figured GPU temperature was a bit high (around 78 C) and it was going up to 90 C when watching a video. So, I opened the computer outbox and saw the fan of my screen card was not working properly. Today I bought a new fan for my screen card (about $12 in Turkey, might be even cheaper in your country) and put it on.....Waila....I got rid of this annoying problem of my monitor going in sleep mode itself.