Question Need low profile right angle SATA cable

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Asking for a friend... I need a low profile right angle SATA cable the allows the connector to fit under a graphics card on an Asus P8Q77-M motherboard. We've looked, but can't be sure it is low enough to fit. They all look about the same to us. Any advice would be appreciated.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have used plenty of 90 degree cables but never really noted one being thinner than another. not sure that is a thing. plenty labeled "low profile" but i think that is more of the fact the right angle let's it fit where a nominal cable does not.

as you noted i don't see any that look obviously thinner than any other. have you tried one of them yet to know it does not fit?

2 of the ports look like they'd be under the gpu, but the other 4 look like the should be easy enough to get to with a right angle.

also note there is such a thing as right hand and left handed cables. look at the pics before you buy to be sure it fits in the right direction you want it to, whether that is toward the bottom of the mobo or toward the top. most likely the bottom is where you want the cable to point.

i found this out the hard way a long time ago when i got the wrong type. :)

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
i have used plenty of 90 degree cables but never really noted one being thinner than another. not sure that is a thing. plenty labeled "low profile" but i think that is more of the fact the right angle let's it fit where a nominal cable does not.

as you noted i don't see any that look obviously thinner than any other. have you tried one of them yet to know it does not fit?

2 of the ports look like they'd be under the gpu, but the other 4 look like the should be easy enough to get to with a right angle.

also note there is such a thing as right hand and left handed cables. look at the pics before you buy to be sure it fits in the right direction you want it to, whether that is toward the bottom of the mobo or toward the top. most likely the bottom is where you want the cable to point.

i found this out the hard way a long time ago when i got the wrong type. :)
Thank you. No, we haven't tried yet. Another issue came up that we are dealing with now. But yes, we'll make sure the right/left handed situation is noted. Btw, it's the white headers he needs to use (SATA 3 vs SATA 2). But if all else fails, I guess he'll have to connect his SSD to SATA 2 headers.

I was wondering if grinding a bit off the top of the shortest right angle connector we have would be acceptable? Obviously one wouldn't want to grind to much... to hit the wiring inside.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've never really had a problem getting sata connectors in place. sure cards have blocked em once they were in, but can't say there was not enough room to fit it.

i'd not expect that to be an issue really. plug em in and then watch close as you put the gpu in and i'll bet it clears by a good bit.