[SOLVED] Need new Backup HD

rgh43

Honorable
Sep 24, 2018
I need to replace an Ext HD as mine failed. I'm looking at 2 "WD" drives and both are the same price. I really only need a 2TB but the price on both of these comes in at $99 + tax. I could go with the My Passport 2TB SSD but that one is $369. Now I also have an internal 2TB backup to go with the Ext, the internal I only use for Pict's, Video, other info & MS Office doc's backup. The Ext also backs up Windows + everything else. So in the case of one failure I still have all my Pictures & Doc's.

So in anyone's opinion what would be the better of the two listed or any other opinions. .

WD My Passport Ultra 4TB
USB-C™ cable with USB 3.0 adapter
WD Discovery software, for WD Backup, and WD Drive Utilities
Quick install guide
USB-C ready, USB 3.0 compatible
Additional Details
Included WD Discovery™ software for social media and cloud storage import, backup and password protection
3-year limited warranty

WD My Book 4TB USB 3.0
USB 3.0 cable
AC adapter
WD Discovery™ software with WD Backup™, WD Security™ and WD Drives Utilities™
Quick install guide
Additional Details
Auto backup with included WD Backup software and Time Machine-compatible
Password protection with hardware encryption
3-year limited warranty

Solution
Between those two, you might as well get the newer one with USB C. However what brand is the failed one? The only reason I ask is because you are looking at two WD ext drives. conventional internal drives I only buy and use Western Digital. I swear by them, you won't find anything other than their Black hard drives in my machines. Total of 6 right now just in my house spinning as we speak.

As for external drives I won't touch WD, too many failed ones (typically controllers). I've only been using Toshiba Ext backup drives for a while now, so far having good luck. Although, external drives never seem to be as reliable so I always keep two at each location. So I have 6 that I keep in rotation. So far though, knock on wood, no failed...
Between those two, you might as well get the newer one with USB C. However what brand is the failed one? The only reason I ask is because you are looking at two WD ext drives. conventional internal drives I only buy and use Western Digital. I swear by them, you won't find anything other than their Black hard drives in my machines. Total of 6 right now just in my house spinning as we speak.

As for external drives I won't touch WD, too many failed ones (typically controllers). I've only been using Toshiba Ext backup drives for a while now, so far having good luck. Although, external drives never seem to be as reliable so I always keep two at each location. So I have 6 that I keep in rotation. So far though, knock on wood, no failed External Toshiba drives.

Solution

rgh43

Honorable
Sep 24, 2018
The failed one is a Hitachi I believe, its still in the PC, unplugged though. I do have a WD 1TB I bought a few years ago to put into a Nextstar enclosure still working good. I have a new PC that I havent set up yet & I have a new in the box WD Black 2 TB to be put in the place (internal) in the new PC for backup. The Nextstar will be connected to it also. Now I should have known something was up as the failed one was giving signals like the PC started loading slow and I have a OCZ 250GB SSD that is the main drive for that PC & it has always loaded quickly. I will look at the Toshiba drives also. Thanks for the info.