[SOLVED] Need New Build Advice

Kageru

Reputable
May 11, 2016
Hey everybody! I'm an amateur builder (I know how to plug the parts in the right spots and that's about it), but when it comes to maximizing performance and insuring compatibility, I tend to fall short. So, as always now that I'm building a new rig, I'm going to rely on the help of you fine folks at Tom's Hardware!

My primary goal is to get the best possible gaming setup, building off of my current graphics card, while staying under an approximate budget of $1,000 CAD. My current system is pretty dated (originally built in 2013) and I don't think that there is much else I can salvage on it during this upgrade. I figure if I can upgrade everything else now, when my graphics card does start to fall behind (I'm guessing a year or two) I can upgrade it without worrying about building a whole new rig from scratch. Probably a more expensive way of doing things in the long run, but less up-front cost.

This is my current Graphics Card:
https://www.newegg.ca/asus-geforce-gtx-1080-turbo-gtx1080-8g/p/N82E16814126110?Item=N82E16814126110

I have 2 SSDs (250gb dedicated to OS and 500gb dedicated to game storage) as well as a 1 TB HDD for overflow that will also be getting moved to the new system.

So the following components are what I need help with:

CPU/Motherboard combo. (I tend to lean toward AMD, but that's usually because they have better options in the mid-upper price point range)
RAM (I have bought the wrong kind of RAM more times than I can count, sadly)
PSU (I know nothing about PSU's and wattage etc. - would rather stay on the side of caution and have more than I need)
Case (Only requirement I have is that it has a frontal USB port for my headset, but I like shiny stuff, so bonus points if it has some flashy LEDs)

I should also mention, I'm one of those old fashioned weirdos who prefers fan cooling to water cooling.

With all that out of the way (and I do apologize for being so long-winded about it - a bad habit of mine), what would you all suggest for my new rig? As always, thank you so much for any help you can offer. I'd be helpless without this site. As is, I've already pored over the various articles comparing CPU/motherboards and price points and everything else - but it feels like a lot to take in all at once and the community here is always so good at helping break everything down for me. Thanks for any and all advice! :)

Kageru

Reputable
May 11, 2016
That looks great! I just have 2 questions stemming mostly from my own ignorance.

First, the CPU cooler - I've never used them in the past (I don't typically overclock) is the installation of them pretty straightforward? Also, in your opinion is the additional cooling essential?

The second question I had is will 650w on the PSU be enough for all that? I'm totally clueless when it comes to power supplies - and I've always been wary after burning one out on my first build a couple of decades ago.

As a side note; That system builder site is really neat. I'll definitely spend some time tinkering with it later when I'm off work!

The cooler that comes with the CPU is sufficient for most purposes, though would tend to run a bit warm at load. I have the particular cooler in that parts list on a Ryzen 9, which never gets warmer than 70C. The difficulty in installing coolers varies; this one isn't particularly bad.

650W is plenty for a single card system. Super high wattage units provide power for multiple card or other super high end systems. Here I prioritized overall quality over higher wattage

Kageru

Reputable
May 11, 2016
I'm happy to hear that it's not particularly bad to install - since it looks like a jet engine in that image! Haha. Could be a fun new experience for me.

So, 650w is plenty on a single card - what sort of wattage would I be looking at if I were to add a second 1080 here? I highly doubt that would ever happen (when I upgrade I assume even 2 1080s will pale in comparison to a high end future card), but purely for my own education, I'm curious.

Thanks for the advice and education on this stuff!

Checking this wattage calculator, 2x 1080 runs about 485W max (add a few for other peripherals) so 650 should fit that actually.

Yeah, that's a big cooler - a two tower cooler with 2 fans. It's probably a bit overkill but on the other hand the extra capacity means it will be quieter. It's not that loud at full tilt anyway (Noctua makes great fans)

Kageru

Reputable
May 11, 2016
Awesome! I really don't think I'd ever drop a second 1080 - but it's nice to know the option is there!

Definitely a big one - but the case looks very spacious with it, so that shouldn't be a problem (from what I can tell in pictures). I like that it'll run quietly, too!

Thanks for all the awesome advice! I'm going to go about ordering these parts a little later this week and hopefully in a couple weeks time I'll have my new system up and running!

I really appreciate the help and for so patiently and thoroughly answering all my questions as well!