[SOLVED] Need new CPU help? - - - i5 6600k @ 100% usage during gaming session

May 16, 2020
Hi, my issue happen when i play Call of Duty Modern Warfare warzone
game run super smooth at 144Hz on high or low graphic setting but I cant multitask ( discord comms, stream, HD movies are no go)

Specs
MSI Z170A M5 motherboard
i5 6600k
2070 RTX Super
monitors: Optix MAG24C 144Hz 1ms / 2 x BenQ 60hz 1ms
32g ram 4x8Gb @2400mhz G Skill

due to my slow ram speed I was thinking about sticking with intel and jump from i5 to i9
also is my Motherboard still good ?
Should I rebuild with new motherboard amd and faster rams ?

please let me know what you guys think i'm old and this is outside my confort zone.

thank you.

Solution
The best cpu you could put into your mobo is a 7700k, and for the cost of a used one, I wouldn't recommend it. The reason for the lack of being able to multitask is definitely the cpu. 4c/4t is definitely holding you back.

So while your motherboard may be ok, it won't accept any newer than 7th gen cpus.

An I9 is a great cpu, but with 10th gen days away, I wouldn't buy now. The 10700k will be just as good if not better than the 9900k. For much less. Preorders are on newegg now for $410.

AMD is certainly a solid buy right now. Especially with streaming, the core count will allow good multitasking.
The best cpu you could put into your mobo is a 7700k, and for the cost of a used one, I wouldn't recommend it. The reason for the lack of being able to multitask is definitely the cpu. 4c/4t is definitely holding you back.

So while your motherboard may be ok, it won't accept any newer than 7th gen cpus.

An I9 is a great cpu, but with 10th gen days away, I wouldn't buy now. The 10700k will be just as good if not better than the 9900k. For much less. Preorders are on newegg now for $410.

AMD is certainly a solid buy right now. Especially with streaming, the core count will allow good multitasking.

Reactions: Mlavi
Solution
May 16, 2020

Thank for the swift reply. If i change my mobo and preorder a 10th gen ,will the 2400Hz ram hurt the new build ?
(I wasn't considering AMD due to ram speed)

Intel is not as dependent on ram speed as AMD. But what I can tell from personal experience is ram speed still helps. When I went from 6600k to 7700, I forgot to turn on xmp. Ran a bunch of benchmarks, cinebench, timespy, etc. From 2133 to 3000 was a sizable difference in cinebench. And was worth a few fps in games.

So, hurt you, not really. Help you, again, not really.

Also, until we see some benchmarks/reviews once launched, we won't really know. But I think you'll be ok. At least until you can budget in some faster ram. 2x16gb would be my recommendation. easier on the memory controller and will perform just the same.

Remember these new 10th gen i7 and above, as well as 9900k, will need a sizable cooler. They're hot cpus. Think top line air or 360mm aio.

Just as an aside, if you want to preorder the cpu, sooner the better. They're selling super quick, 10900k already gone. Make sure you get a z490 mobo too, which also on preorder. They're not cheap, but you can get a solid looking board for 200ish. 600 for cpu/mobo is still better than 9900k/board for 700+.

but I cant multitask ( discord comms, stream, HD movies are no go)
Even a single threaded low demanding game if it's online will have cut outs if you run a bunch of high bandwidth demanding apps in the background.
Your problem is that your internet isn't being split up properly between your game and your apps.
Your motherboard has a quality of service app TRUE GAMING LAN WITH KILLER™ do you run that,you should look into setting it up correctly so that it gives enough bandwidth to your streaming and the other things.

Remember these new 10th gen i7 and above, as well as 9900k, will need a sizable cooler. They're hot cpus. Think top line air or 360mm aio.
Not for gaming,5W more than a 7700k isn't really going to make any difference at all.
5fXa7YGhCW4VYvd6yhGTMA-650-80.png