Need New CPU??? Old Pentium4

audiotek

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Hi, I have an old P4 3200Ghz with a Asus P5B-vm motherboard, 4Gb or RAM, 460W PSU, NVidia GT-610 I currently have Windows XP and Ubuntu 14.0.4. All I want to do with this machine is playback 1080p HD video with VLC, that's it, not even word processing or internet browsing except for updates etc...!!!

Problem is even with Hardware Acceleration checked up in VLC and playing with different options for the Video Output I'm getting major macro-blocking when playing back 1080p. It's a bit better with Ubuntu at 1080p but at 720p I get those green lines at the bottom, I did a search and unchecked Accelerated Video Output (Overlay) but same results!!!

I think the issue would be that the processor is too slow??

I know the GT-610 supports 1080p as this is my third build (other 2 machines are running XBMC on Windows7 but with "newer" old parts)

What's the best CPU I could put on that system considering it's very old and the PSU is pretty low as far as wattage goes?

Should I install Windows7 to see if it would help?

audiotek

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Thanks for the list, that will help. I guess the the fastest ones one that list are the Core 2 Duos? But before I make an investment how can I make sure that the issue is the CPU? Also would a 460W PSU be enough?

460 should be plenty with your video card, and a Core 2 doesn't draw very much. I've got an old system laying around here that has an E2200 and doesn't have any problems with video, but I wouldn't think the P4 would either. You can probably run some quad cores that were released after that list was made, but would worry that you don't have the right Bios.

audiotek

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014

zheyizhu

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
You shouldn't have any trouble installing your E8400 into the LGA775 socket. However, you might need a BIOS update before you can boot with the new chip because there was no support for that chip when the motherboard originally came out, and I'm also assuming that you haven't updated the BIOS since you built the system.

As for a new CPU, I would recommend a Q6600 instead of a Q6700 because it is cheaper and has similar if not the same performance. A Q6600 is very known in the LGA775 chipset as a very good overclocker too.

audiotek

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014

zheyizhu

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015

Yes, you should switch back to your original chip to download the latest BIOS onto a flashdrive.

Alternatively, you can use a computer other than the one you need to upgrade to download the new BIOS to save you some time and work.

The latest BIOS update for your mb should be 1004. Now, I'm not sure if it will accept the new chip even if you update it since the release date of the chip (January 2008) is so close to the date of the new BIOS update (May 2008). But it doesn't hurt to try.

Search on Google or YouTube for instructions and tutorials on how to flash a new BIOS for your particular motherboard.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
1 - always ALWAYS update the BIOS using the older CPU that already works. once it's updated and working properly, you can swap to the other CPU

2 - have you tried installing the K-Lite Codec Pack to see if there's a specific codec that helps?

audiotek

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014

I'll check out the K-Lite pack before just in case!!!

To update the BIOS should I use a CD or USB key? I know I can't boot OS from a USB, there's no option for USB!!! Would it be the same to update the BIOS?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
to update BIOS, check your mobo for instructions. usually you just copy the ROM file onto a USB, and boot into BIOS (no OS needed). sometimes you need to hit a special combination of keys during power-on, like Alt-F2 or something. check the manual.

zheyizhu

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015

I would swap back the old chip and see if you can POST.

If you can't you might have a bigger problem on your hands like a bricked motherboard.

audiotek

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014

What do you mean by POST? Where can I see what BIOS version I'm using? Right now I have the origianl chip in and I ordered a Q6600

audiotek

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014

I got the K-Lite pack. Where in VLC can I make changes? Except for VIDEO---->OUTPUT

audiotek

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
I checked it's version 1004 which is the latest!!!!

Next step is to wait for the Q6600 which should come in any days now.

Also do I need to fully reinstall the heatsink when testing the new chip? I put the heatsink and fan aside could it be a reason the computer won't boot up?

Stealthman80

Honorable
May 2, 2012
The e8400 wont boot because its a 45nm chip and the board only supports 65nm chips. The q6600 will be fine and at least 4 times faster then the p4. You always have to put the heatsink and fan on the cpu it can overheat in seconds.