Need new GPU that fits CPU

Slee1324

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Hey all, so recently my GPU crapped out and so now I am in the hunt for a new one and I was looking towards a GTX 1050/1050ti/1060 but wasn’t entirely sure what might be best.
My PC is a gaming rig as that’s about all I use it for. Nothing too intense or graphically demanding (overwatch/PUBG/rocket league/Diablo3/etc...) my biggest concern is that I don’t upgrade my GPU to a point where my CPU bottlenecks it however that is not something that I completely understand. I was looking for some advice on what might be the best option to buy based on my current components.

NOTE:I do plan to build a new pc in the next year or so, so this is just something that can play 1080p with decent FPS as I know almost anything will be an upgrade from my previous card. Like mentioned biggest concern is best value and not to bottleneck.

Thanks all for your input!!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hbyhQV
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hbyhQV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASRock - B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill - Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Memory: G.Skill - Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung - 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI - Radeon R9 270 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Case: NZXT - Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair - CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
Don't worry too much about bottlenecking, there will always be a bottleneck. If your GPU is too weak then it is the bottleneck, if it is too strong then the CPU is the bottleneck.

A 1060 is a great match for 1080p 60hz, in some games the GPU will be the constraint in others the CPU will be. A 1050 will be a little on the weak side, and when you upgrade the rest of the system will be wasted, the 1060 will still be useful when you upgrade everything else.

The problems that you might see are good visual images but the CPU being unable to feed them so the frame rate may stutter a little, having a weaker GPU will not make this any better, and will mean that both the CPU and the GPU cause delays of their own.
Don't worry too much about bottlenecking, there will always be a bottleneck. If your GPU is too weak then it is the bottleneck, if it is too strong then the CPU is the bottleneck.

A 1060 is a great match for 1080p 60hz, in some games the GPU will be the constraint in others the CPU will be. A 1050 will be a little on the weak side, and when you upgrade the rest of the system will be wasted, the 1060 will still be useful when you upgrade everything else.

The problems that you might see are good visual images but the CPU being unable to feed them so the frame rate may stutter a little, having a weaker GPU will not make this any better, and will mean that both the CPU and the GPU cause delays of their own.

Solution

Slee1324

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

Thank you very much for that, that was very informative. Follow up question to that....if I was planning to get a 1080 ti for my new PC (Hoping to build it late next year or so) what GPU would you recommend? Still the 1060?

Just go straight to the 1080ti,they are on offer now, there'll be fewer offers next year.

Slee1324

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

That is one thing I was afraid up with the Tech that Nvidia is going towards on their newer cards. I just wasn't sure when it would start to get bad and I know prices are still somewhat inflated from all the dumb crypto miners. Just tough to spend $750+ when I was looking for a short term $150-$200 temp upgrade.

Is used something I should even consider? (I am skeptical cause I don't know the actual usage and condition)

Slee1324

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

I ended up going with an EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming ACX 3.0

TRENDING THREADS