Massman55

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
I have an etower400i with 256mg ram and 4gb hard drive.Can I use a WD400JB Special Edition with this pc-Do I need a controller card -which means MO Money-or should I get a different drive?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I doubt the BIOS is so old as to have a 36GB restriction, but it could be. I'd try the drive, it should work, and only get an adapter card if it isn't found correctly by BIOS.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Also, consider that the performance of that drive may be capped by the limitation of your controller, most likely ata33.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Massman55

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for the help-I knows i aint got know blazin pc hea butt as a municipal worker i am the eletist with the obsoleteist.Should i try to update my drivers-If so how can i recognize whats needed and where do I locate them.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
updating drivers in your situation probably wont help.
an ata33 controler cannot be upgraded, and bios fixes to get over the 33.8gb issue may or maynot work (if you even have that particular problem)

probably the best solution is a PCI IDE card to plug the drive into. no bios problems, and full performance.

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

TRENDING THREADS