[SOLVED] Need new Laptop Power Cord

Errend

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
The lining of my Power Cord for my laptop has started fraying, with the wires starting to peek out (I've since wrapped it in electrical tape). I need a new Power Cord, but what what are the important specifications that I should be looking for to make sure it has the right compatibility with my laptop? I'm assuming a "generic" power cord will cause problems.

(Also, any advice when shopping for a new one? I feel like I've been ripped off before making this kind of purchase)

Errend

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
Thanks for the links. I'll probably go for the universal and save the $100. Any real downside to that?

I haven't contacted MSI yet, though their website doesn't list power cord replacements. I seem to recall contacting them about something like this a few years ago (could've been on last computer) and the price - and shipping - was... considerable.

Unless you can easily return the generic adapter, I would buy the genuine thing.
It is a higher capacity unit which might be relevant.
Also laptop makers may have circuitry in batteries and chargers to insure that only original replacements are used.

Errend

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
Just had this happen, so I should probably ask: my laptop suddenly shut down and the brick on the power cord started making a squeaking noise. Is this an issue related to the power cord (new one is on the way)? Or is this something else I should be concerned about?