Need Quick Answer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DMullane

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
so i just finished building my first computer. it started up and installed windows succesfully. however, i don't think my graphics card is working. I have a PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 but when I do the Windows Experience Index test thing it gives my graphics a rating of 1.0/7.9. And it doesnt seem to be registering my card. But I have my monitor hooked up to the VGA port on my graphics card and i get the picture and everything on my monitor so it has to at least be working, right? I have 2 PCI-Express cables hooked up to my graphics card from my power supply and the graphics card is firmly in place on the motherboard. what could be wrong and how can i fix it? thanks

scienceisfun91

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

VGA IS NOT limited to a 640x480 resolution. I'm using the VGA adapter on my 6850, and I'm gaming on a 1600x900 resolution.

RussK1

Splendid

Huh what? Windows installs drivers on it's own, setting the resolution through "Windows" is separate from Catalyst. In fact some people don't even use CCC and just use drivers Windows downloads and installs.

In case you aren't aware CCC isn't the end all, be all of AMD cards. Clocks, fan control, voltage, etc. is in the specific GPU's ROM and will manage itself. Saying this, the resolution CAN be changed via desktop...

resolution.jpg

I never you couldn't change it. I am just saying that certain resolutions will not be available until the drivers are installed. Happened to be multiple times in the past, especially with my old 1680x1050 monitor; the highest I could set via desktop without drivers would usually be 1280x1024.