[SOLVED] Need receiver for TV and turntable

Mar 11, 2021
Hello guys! I have a bunch of records in my garage and they gave me a Pro-Ject Debut turntable. I got an idea to buy a couple of speakers and improve the sound on my TV and connect the turntable at the same time, as I understand I need a receiver. I found this review on Google, from their list I liked the Denon DRA-800H and Sony STR-DH190, can these models be considered for my purposes? and do i need an amplifier?

Solution
"Most newer turntables have a preamp"
I didn't know this.
I'm still running two Dual turntables that are about 40 years old....but I think I might be in the market for one...as I am losing the ability to repair these two due to lack of parts.
Moving the pre-amp into the turntable probably happened because of DJs. For a long time turntables were only sold for DJ use. As vinyl has become more popular at home, and turntables have returned, the amount of integrated amps or receivers WITH pre-amps has dropped to near zero. So to sell turntables it made sense for the manufacturers just to include the preamp IN the turntable.

I have a Technics quartz turntable from 30 years ago. That turntable requires a discrete preamp. I...
"as I understand I need a receiver. "

You only need a receiver if you want to listen to the radio.
If you don't need the radio.....then what you want is generally called an integrated amplifier.

Something like this would do what you want....with no radio....or you can get a receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/NAD-316BEE-Integrated-Amplifier-Phono/dp/B07D3BS3BL

Being you have a phonograph....make sure whatever you get ...be it receiver or integrated amp....has a phono preamp.

kanewolf

Titan
"as I understand I need a receiver. "

You only need a receiver if you want to listen to the radio.
If you don't need the radio.....then what you want is generally called an integrated amplifier.

Something like this would do what you want....with no radio....or you can get a receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/NAD-316BEE-Integrated-Amplifier-Phono/dp/B07D3BS3BL

Being you have a phonograph....make sure whatever you get ...be it receiver or integrated amp....has a phono preamp.
The last statement is PROBABLY true. Most newer turntables have a preamp built-in. They have a switch to change the output from phono level to line level. So it would depend on the specific turntable you have whether a phono input (with phono preamp) is required or not.

The last statement is PROBABLY true. Most newer turntables have a preamp built-in. They have a switch to change the output from phono level to line level. So it would depend on the specific turntable you have whether a phono input (with phono preamp) is required or not.
I didn't know this.
I'm still running two Dual turntables that are about 40 years old....but I think I might be in the market for one...as I am losing the ability to repair these two due to lack of parts.

kanewolf

Titan
I didn't know this.
Moving the pre-amp into the turntable probably happened because of DJs. For a long time turntables were only sold for DJ use. As vinyl has become more popular at home, and turntables have returned, the amount of integrated amps or receivers WITH pre-amps has dropped to near zero. So to sell turntables it made sense for the manufacturers just to include the preamp IN the turntable.

I have a Technics quartz turntable from 30 years ago. That turntable requires a discrete preamp. I have a Musical Fidelity "X-CANs" tube phono preamp.

Solution

I have a Technics quartz turntable from 30 years ago. That turntable requires a discrete preamp. I have a Musical Fidelity "X-CANs" tube phono preamp.
I think this makes sense...thanks.
I'm actually using a standalone preamp with one of my turntables....as the integrated amp I'm using doesn't have a preamp but the other one does.