Question Need security cam recommendation for PC use

Status
Not open for further replies.

locutor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I want to put a live camera on my windowsill pointed outside that I can monitor from my PC. Can anyone recommend one that would be good for this? Most are designed to work with smartphone apps, but I need to be able to see the output on my PC, either through a browser or some other Windows program. Preferably with a full screen option so I can dedicate a monitor to it.

USAFRet

Titan
I want to put a live camera on my windowsill pointed outside that I can monitor from my PC. Can anyone recommend one that would be good for this? Most are designed to work with smartphone apps, but I need to be able to see the output on my PC, either through a browser or some other Windows program. Preferably with a full screen option so I can dedicate a monitor to it.
I have Reolink cameras for just this use.

The Reolink windows application is very good.

Mine (RLC-423) are outside, but they have many others.

You can buy a cheap $30 Wyze CAM V3 and the window mount for $4. The window mount allows for a direct attachment to the glass which cuts out the glare and reflection from the video.

Then install the official RTSP firmware which will give you a URL that you can access from anywhere in your house with a web browser or through a PC NVR application: https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP

locutor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Thanks much for the suggestions, guys. The only Reolink model I could put on a window sill has a viewing angle of 98 degrees, only about half of that of a video doorbell. The Wyze is 130 degrees, a little better. And it’s cheap enough that I could always find another use for it if it didn’t work out for this.

Parenthetically, this is my Plan B after being unable to get an Arlo video doorbell to work continuously without timing out despite meeting the power requirements. I might try another brand of video doorbell.

locutor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Just updating my post. I tried the Wyze Cam V3. RTSP is no longer supported. Livestreaming to a web browser requires a separate paid subscription to Cam Plus, which I bought. Except that Web View doesn’t work, which their customer support knows. “Our engineers are working on it”…for over six months, which is how long it’s been in beta. Struck out with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.