[SOLVED] Need some advice before upgrading my PC

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys,

My PC is 6.5 years old (gpu excluded) and i haven't posted anything in a while so please be gentle 😅
If i'v posted this thread in the wrong place, please point me to the right place :)

These are my specs right now:

CPU: i5 3570(non k)
Cooling: AC Freezer i30 (pretty sure it's ARCTIC's)
Motherboard: GA-H77-D3H
Memory: DDR3 12GB
GPU: GTX 1070 ti (Don't see a reason to upgrade the GPU right now)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31
Power Supply: High Power Absolute 700W - Probably not the first choice for most people.. I didn't put much thought to it when i bought this PSU. That said, it hasn't failed me

I wanted to wait for ZEN 3 CPUs but i'm tired of my i5 and i clearly need the upgrade.
This is the "planned" upgrade:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 R9 3900X
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE
Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3600mhz

I want to keep my Case, PSU and Cooler. Will this work? should i change anything?

Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
The extra cores/threads will surely come in handy. But when is the question. I'm guessing it will be several years before a need for more than 8 cores is necessary. The same with 32gb of ram, unless you have a specific need for that much, its currently overkill.

You could always build the 3700x now and upgrade in a few years if the need arises. The am4 platform is getting one more generation, so if in 4-5 years you need more, you'll probably be able to grab a cheap 3900x,3950x or any number of possible 4xxx series. But by that time, who knows what will be available. 5xxx, 6xxx, ddr5 ram?

It's really up to you how much you want to spend. I'd honestly recommend the 3700x, as it should be plenty for years to come.
Youd have to see if artic has an am4 bracket for the new cpu, if not you'll need a new cooler.

I'd also recommend grabbing an ssd if you dont already have one.

And get a new psu. 6.5 years old and of questionable quality to begin with. Most certainly needs to be replaced.

Other than that. Solid. Any reason you feel the need for the 3900x vs the 3700x? Could save a few bucks there.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Youd have to see if artic has an am4 bracket for the new cpu, if not you'll need a new cooler.

I'd also recommend grabbing an ssd if you dont already have one.

And get a new psu. 6.5 years old and of questionable quality to begin with. Most certainly needs to be replaced.

Other than that. Solid. Any reason you feel the need for the 3900x vs the 3700x? Could save a few bucks there.

Already have an ssd, 860 evo 500gb. wd blue 500gb for games and 1TB western digital black so i think i'm ok for now. I wanted to get a nvme ssd but that just feels too much right now.

About the PSU, I honestly think i should keep it just because it worked so well for me so far. When my little brother wanted a new PC, I made sure to get him a better psu. I think it was Corsair's, and it ended up needing to be replaced. Is it dangerous for my new part if i keep my psu?

About the 3900x, I just want to get the best i can afford right now. Last time when i got the i5 3570, i felt bad that i didn't put a few more extra bucks to get the i7 3770. Dont want to make this mistake again and i hope i wont have to worry about a new cpu for long time. Also, I kind of want to make sure it's better than whatever Microsoft and Sony put in their new consoles because their cpu is probably going to set the minimum requirements for next gen games

If it was me, I'd get a new psu. Quality not withstanding, your current psu is 6.5 years old as you said. It would worry me and you risk a lot of expensive components. The new cpu will draw more power vs the i5. You're talking a 800ish upgrade, on top of the already 500ish in stuff you have. Do you feel comfortable risking thousands in components on an old psu, just for the sake of a few bucks saved? Corsair makes solid units, but they also make low end stuff. Just because its brand name doesn't mean it's good. That said, just because it's not name brand doesn't mean it's bad.

Nvme is nice, but if you already have an ssd, you probably wouldn't notice a huge performance increase. You can save that money for now.

The 3900x will(or should, at leasr) last at least as long as your current rig, if not longer. Its definitely a solid performer and I'd assume the extra cores will just increase longevity.

And contact artic about the bracket, they may just give you one if they have a compatible bracket for the am4. If not you could easily grab an updated artic cooler. The freezer 34 is good and only 35-40 bucks. Top tier air is more, up to 100. Water, probably not necessary, especially if you dont feel comfortable and will just increase cost. Plus with a 6 year old case, it may not be water cooling friendly anyways.

Reactions: eli150

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
If it was me, I'd get a new psu. Quality not withstanding, your current psu is 6.5 years old as you said. It would worry me and you risk a lot of expensive components. The new cpu will draw more power vs the i5. You're talking a 800ish upgrade, on top of the already 500ish in stuff you have. Do you feel comfortable risking thousands in components on an old psu, just for the sake of a few bucks saved? Corsair makes solid units, but they also make low end stuff. Just because its brand name doesn't mean it's good. That said, just because it's not name brand doesn't mean it's bad.

Nvme is nice, but if you already have an ssd, you probably wouldn't notice a huge performance increase. You can save that money for now.

The 3900x will(or should, at leasr) last at least as long as your current rig, if not longer. Its definitely a solid performer and I'd assume the extra cores will just increase longevity.

And contact artic about the bracket, they may just give you one if they have a compatible bracket for the am4. If not you could easily grab an updated artic cooler. The freezer 34 is good and only 35-40 bucks. Top tier air is more, up to 100. Water, probably not necessary, especially if you dont feel comfortable and will just increase cost. Plus with a 6 year old case, it may not be water cooling friendly anyways.

Damn i'm convinced. I'll get a new psu too. probably. Just kidding dude thanks a lot this is a huge help. My cooler is kind of old so i guess i should get a new one. Not sure where i can get the freezer 34 and i dont really know if and when i can contact arctic and get that bracket. Can you recommend anything from Cooler Master? how is this : COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Black Edition
might be able to get this from arctic: Arctic-Cooling Freezer 13

Is this PSU good enough?:
CORSAIR V750M Venegance 80Plus Silver Modular

Also should i replace my case? i like it so i'm not sure that i want too but if that is something i should consider too then please let me know :)

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Hey guys,

My PC is 6.5 years old (gpu excluded) and i haven't posted anything in a while so please be gentle 😅
If i'v posted this thread in the wrong place, please point me to the right place :)

These are my specs right now:

CPU: i5 3570(non k)
Cooling: AC Freezer i30 (pretty sure it's ARCTIC's)
Motherboard: GA-H77-D3H
Memory: DDR3 12GB
GPU: GTX 1070 ti (Don't see a reason to upgrade the GPU right now)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31
Power Supply: High Power Absolute 700W - Probably not the first choice for most people.. I didn't put much thought to it when i bought this PSU. That said, it hasn't failed me

I wanted to wait for ZEN 3 CPUs but i'm tired of my i5 and i clearly need the upgrade.
This is the "planned" upgrade:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 R9 3900X
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE
Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3600mhz

I want to keep my Case, PSU and Cooler. Will this work? should i change anything?

Thanks in advance!!!
Also change the PSU
You can sell the old build without VGA
Or donated to someone

Reactions: eli150

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I would not worry too much about the performance of the new consoles. They never had the power of up to date pcs and I guess never will. They got to keep the pricing competetive after all. I got myself a 3700x for my gaming rig and even those 8 cores will not be necessary for the next 2 years over lets say a 3600. I would take a 3700x and use the bucks saved for a nice case or a really good psu. In addition I think you could easily save some more money without sacrificing performance if you take B450 over a x570 board. Do you use or need pci 4.0 at the moment?

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
I would not worry too much about the performance of the new consoles. They never had the power of up to date pcs and I guess never will. They got to keep the pricing competetive after all. I got myself a 3700x for my gaming rig and even those 8 cores will not be necessary for the next 2 years over lets say a 3600. I would take a 3700x and use the bucks saved for a nice case or a really good psu. In addition I think you could easily save some more money without sacrificing performance if you take B450 over a x570 board. Do you use or need pci 4.0 at the moment?

Yes consoles cant be as good as up to date PCs but i'm always worried before a new gen because they kind of set the min requirements for games.

The reason i want to get the 3900x is because i dont want to make the same mistake i did last time. Should have bought the i7 3770 instead if the i5 3570. I think buying the best i can afford is the right move. Will get a new PSU too. Guess i shouldn't keep the old one just so i can be on the safe side with the new parts.

I dont see myself needing pci 4.0 anytime soon but the GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE just looks like a better investment for a strong cpu like the 3900x. Also, in a year or two i'll need to to buy a new gpu. I already know my 1070 ti wont last as long as the GTX 970

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
If you don't want to go for a liquid cooler, a big air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 is fine (https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15). Just make sure your case has room for it.

NH-D15 will perform as well or better any AIO less than a good 360.

Not sure i can get it where i'm buying the rest of my parts and i prefer to purchase all of them in the same place. That way i can get a bit of a discount on everything.

How is this?: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Black Edition

I might get the Arctic-Cooling Freezer 34 like someone here suggested

woot

Distinguished
Actually less dust is something i'm very interested in but honestly this upgrade is getting expansive as it is so i might go with a regular cooler
my Hyper 212X turbo wont let the cpu go over 61c no matter i do, usualy around 49c-54c during intense gaming, a intake fan on the top of the case feeds the 212X cold air and the exhuast fan on the top back sucks out the hot air from the exhuast fan of the cpu cooler.

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Not sure i can get it where i'm buying the rest of my parts and i prefer to purchase all of them in the same place. That way i can get a bit of a discount on everything.

Hyper 212 doesn't look like a great choice:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-hyper-212-black-edition-rgb-silencio,5967.html

More positive comment on the Arctic-Cooling Freezer 34
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cooler,6352-2.html

Noctua NH-U12S has some good support:
https://community.amd.com/thread/245372

All the best

The 212 is a 150w(maybe 140w, have to double check) cooler. On full load the 3900x will do about 140ish w. The 212 will work, but will be near the max capacity all the time. Meaning more fan noise, as well as warmer temperatures. The artic 34 is a 200w cooler and only a couple bucks more. Definitely the choice I'd make. The 212 has definitely lost it's title of best budget cooler, as the artic 34 and a few others have entered the same cost segment. Then you have the noctua, which will cost more, even more if you want the chromax edition.

The corsair you selected is ok, but certainly not there best stuff. 750w is overkill as a good quality 650w is plenty, even when you do eventually get a better gpu. I do like corsair, and have an hx750i. It was expensive, so I'll not necessarily recommend it. But look at the rm650x. Also look at and highly consider seasonic. Look at the psu tier list and try and buy from the top two tiers.

B450 vs x570. Unless you have a need for the pcie4.0, a good quality b450 will be plenty enough for the 3900x. The msi b450 tomahawk max has good vrms, has a fair price, along with guaranteed 3rd gen compatibility out of the box. Should be plenty for the 3900x and will save you a bunch of money. Enough to ensure a high quality psu, and a nice high quality cooler. Maybe even a case if you want. But as far as that goes, if your case has good airflow, good cooler clearance, and still meets your needs aesthetically, no need to upgrade. Money better spent elsewhere.

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019

Can I suggest you re-think this?
The R9 3900x runs hot, you want a good cooler for good performance.
Saving a little on the cooler whilst paying for a top performing CPU isn't really the best plan.
I too prefer to buy from the one place, but sometimes you need to go to a few shops to get what you really need.

All the best.

Saving a little on the cooler whilst paying for a top performing CPU isn't really the best plan.
I too prefer to buy from the one place, but sometimes you need to go to a few shops to get what you really need.

All the best.
Solid point. Shopping around is usually the best way to save money. Also some places hate to lose money/business, so they may price match.

What country are you in? Where do you prefer to shop?

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
The 212 is a 150w(maybe 140w, have to double check) cooler. On full load the 3900x will do about 140ish w. The 212 will work, but will be near the max capacity all the time. Meaning more fan noise, as well as warmer temperatures. The artic 34 is a 200w cooler and only a couple bucks more. Definitely the choice I'd make. The 212 has definitely lost it's title of best budget cooler, as the artic 34 and a few others have entered the same cost segment. Then you have the noctua, which will cost more, even more if you want the chromax edition.

The corsair you selected is ok, but certainly not there best stuff. 750w is overkill as a good quality 650w is plenty, even when you do eventually get a better gpu. I do like corsair, and have an hx750i. It was expensive, so I'll not necessarily recommend it. But look at the rm650x. Also look at and highly consider seasonic. Look at the psu tier list and try and buy from the top two tiers.

B450 vs x570. Unless you have a need for the pcie4.0, a good quality b450 will be plenty enough for the 3900x. The msi b450 tomahawk max has good vrms, has a fair price, along with guaranteed 3rd gen compatibility out of the box. Should be plenty for the 3900x and will save you a bunch of money. Enough to ensure a high quality psu, and a nice high quality cooler. Maybe even a case if you want. But as far as that goes, if your case has good airflow, good cooler clearance, and still meets your needs aesthetically, no need to upgrade. Money better spent elsewhere.

I looked at the prices and i'm ok with getting the x570 i selected. I realized i shouldn't save money on other parts so i decided to put a bit more into this upgrade. Is this the psu you have?
Corsair HX750I 80 plus Platinum Modular 750W
if it is and you recommend buying it then i think i'll get it too.
Now i need a good quiet cooler. Not a liquid one because i really am not comfortable with it. Will the Arctic freezer 34 do the job or should i look at something a bit better?

Also, i guess i should have asked this from the beginning.. Did i make a right choice getting the 3900x? Is the i9 9900k better for gaming? I think i did but you seem to really know all about this stuff so i thought i should ask

Last edited:

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013

All the best.

Thanks dude i'll do that. I realized i shouldn't cheap out on the other parts. Why does the R9 3900x run so hot? is it maybe better to get the i9 form intel?

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Thanks dude i'll do that. I realized i shouldn't cheap out on the other parts. Why does the R9 3900x run so hot? is it maybe better to get the i9 form intel?
I think the R9 3900x is a better choice.
How hot runs depends on what you do with it - if your happy with running it at stock the included Wraith Prism is fine (you could start with that and upgrade later if your not happy with it):

What I was trying to say, not very well, is if you want to get a better cooler I would go with something a little more solid, e.g. does your supplier have the Noctua NH-U12A ?

All the best.

I looked at the prices and i'm ok with getting the x570 i selected. I realized i shouldn't save money on other parts so i decided to put a bit more into this upgrade. Is this the psu you have?
Corsair HX750I 80 plus Platinum Modular 750W 13.5CM
if it is and you recommend buying it then i think i'll get it too.
Now i need a good quiet cooler. Not a liquid one because i really am not comfortable with it. Will the Arctic freezer 34 do the job or should i look at something a bit better?

Also, i guess i should have asked this from the beginning.. Did i make a right choice getting the 3900x? Is the i9 9900k better for gaming? I think i did but you seem to really know all about this stuff so i thought i should ask
Yes, that is the psu I have. Going strong so far, only been about a year though.

I'd go noctua. Nhd15,nhd14, u12. In that order if they'll fit your case. Artic freezer 34 is good, but noctua is the better choice. And currently some of the best air coolers you can buy. Also look at bequiet! Dark rock pro series, deepcool assassin both great coolers. The 3900x is a roughly 150w at full load cpu. Look for coolers with a tdp of 200 or better and they should be cool and quiet.

The 9900k will provide slightly higher max fps, but the ryzen will be so close you wouldn't be able to tell. Especially coming from your current setup. Both would be so far ahead, you'll be more than happy.

That said, as hot as the 3900x will be, the 9900k will be almost twice as hot. Most will say a 360mm aio water cooler or custom loop is required to cool it. Especially if overclocking. It's a 250w part. It's hot as they come unless you move into the hedt space. 3900x is more bang for buck.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Gigabyte Aorus Elite and the Asus Tuf Gaming Plus are the 2 best X570's in the under $300+ range. They've got all the bells and whistles the cheaper boards have and the voltage regulation of the most expensive mobo's. You can't go wrong with either. Definitely a strong choice at $180 or less.

The 3rd Gen sweetspot for ram performance is 3733MHz, which can require a little dialing in. Higher than that and the infinity fabric switches from a 1:1 ratio and goes to a 2:1 ratio, effectively cutting performance gains in half. 3733MHz is hard to get, so 3600MHz is the next best thing and much more available.

Good luck getting 3600MHz to work on a B450, it's been done, but isn't exactly easy, nor guaranteed. Only 3200MHz is. Might not seem like a big deal, but it's very similar to the difference between 2400MHz and 3200MHz to a 3rd gen Ryzen.

2 things to never cheap out on. Cpu cooling and psu. The 140w Hyper212 is on the same level of ability as the stock Wraith Max, basically good enough for regular nominal usage, but not intended for extreme. If wanting coolers to handle extreme usage, which means OC, rendering, editing, uber gaming etc, you'll need to look at coolers rated at @ 2x TDP. That means 200w and up.

HighPower isn't bad. Sirfa/Sirtec builds everything from really good to really not good, Highpower is on the upper side of decent. But thats also not Great. And after 6.5years, it's getting to a questionable age, not a question of 'if' it'll fail, but 'how soon' will it fail. For your equipment, a Corsair RMx 650w would be recommended.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
I think the R9 3900x is a better choice.
How hot runs depends on what you do with it - if your happy with running it at stock the included Wraith Prism is fine (you could start with that and upgrade later if your not happy with it):

What I was trying to say, not very well, is if you want to get a better cooler I would go with something a little more solid, e.g. does your supplier have the Noctua NH-U12A ?

All the best.

Dude you guys are awesome and the reason why i love to come here to tom's hardware for any advice i need when buying a new PC or in this case upgrading.

I checked with two other stores i trust and this is what i can get right now form Noctua that is compatible with AM4: Noctua NH-U9S
Is it as good as what you are suggesting? If not maybe i should search for the u12a on amazon

Yes, that is the psu I have. Going strong so far, only been about a year though.

I'd go noctua. Nhd15,nhd14, u12. In that order if they'll fit your case. Artic freezer 34 is good, but noctua is the better choice. And currently some of the best air coolers you can buy. Also look at bequiet! Dark rock pro series, deepcool assassin both great coolers. The 3900x is a roughly 150w at full load cpu. Look for coolers with a tdp of 200 or better and they should be cool and quiet.

The 9900k will provide slightly higher max fps, but the ryzen will be so close you wouldn't be able to tell. Especially coming from your current setup. Both would be so far ahead, you'll be more than happy.

That said, as hot as the 3900x will be, the 9900k will be almost twice as hot. Most will say a 360mm aio water cooler or custom loop is required to cool it. Especially if overclocking. It's a 250w part. It's hot as they come unless you move into the hedt space. 3900x is more bang for buck.

Then i guess i made the right choice going with the 3900x. Thanks bud. The only cooler i can get for Noctua right now is the one i mentioned. Is it any good?

The Gigabyte Aorus Elite and the Asus Tuf Gaming Plus are the 2 best X570's in the under $300+ range. They've got all the bells and whistles the cheaper boards have and the voltage regulation of the most expensive mobo's. You can't go wrong with either. Definitely a strong choice at $180 or less.

The 3rd Gen sweetspot for ram performance is 3733MHz, which can require a little dialing in. Higher than that and the infinity fabric switches from a 1:1 ratio and goes to a 2:1 ratio, effectively cutting performance gains in half. 3733MHz is hard to get, so 3600MHz is the next best thing and much more available.

Good luck getting 3600MHz to work on a B450, it's been done, but isn't exactly easy, nor guaranteed. Only 3200MHz is. Might not seem like a big deal, but it's very similar to the difference between 2400MHz and 3200MHz to a 3rd gen Ryzen.

2 things to never cheap out on. Cpu cooling and psu. The 140w Hyper212 is on the same level of ability as the stock Wraith Max, basically good enough for regular nominal usage, but not intended for extreme. If wanting coolers to handle extreme usage, which means OC, rendering, editing, uber gaming etc, you'll need to look at coolers rated at @ 2x TDP. That means 200w and up.

HighPower isn't bad. Sirfa/Sirtec builds everything from really good to really not good, Highpower is on the upper side of decent. But thats also not Great. And after 6.5years, it's getting to a questionable age, not a question of 'if' it'll fail, but 'how soon' will it fail. For your equipment, a Corsair RMx 650w would be recommended.

Thanks i'll get the Aorus Elite :)

Right now i want to get these:
Vengeance LPX 32GB 16X2 DDR4 3600MHZ
Corsair HX750I 80 plus Platinum Modular 750W 13.5CM

I also realized i need to get a good cooler but the only one i can get from Noctua like the guys here suggested, is the Noctua NH-U9S

What do you think?