[SOLVED] Need some advice before upgrading my PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys,

My PC is 6.5 years old (gpu excluded) and i haven't posted anything in a while so please be gentle 😅
If i'v posted this thread in the wrong place, please point me to the right place :)

These are my specs right now:

CPU: i5 3570(non k)
Cooling: AC Freezer i30 (pretty sure it's ARCTIC's)
Motherboard: GA-H77-D3H
Memory: DDR3 12GB
GPU: GTX 1070 ti (Don't see a reason to upgrade the GPU right now)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31
Power Supply: High Power Absolute 700W - Probably not the first choice for most people.. I didn't put much thought to it when i bought this PSU. That said, it hasn't failed me

I wanted to wait for ZEN 3 CPUs but i'm tired of my i5 and i clearly need the upgrade.
This is the "planned" upgrade:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 R9 3900X
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE
Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3600mhz

I want to keep my Case, PSU and Cooler. Will this work? should i change anything?

Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
The extra cores/threads will surely come in handy. But when is the question. I'm guessing it will be several years before a need for more than 8 cores is necessary. The same with 32gb of ram, unless you have a specific need for that much, its currently overkill.

You could always build the 3700x now and upgrade in a few years if the need arises. The am4 platform is getting one more generation, so if in 4-5 years you need more, you'll probably be able to grab a cheap 3900x,3950x or any number of possible 4xxx series. But by that time, who knows what will be available. 5xxx, 6xxx, ddr5 ram?

It's really up to you how much you want to spend. I'd honestly recommend the 3700x, as it should be plenty for years to come.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Dude you guys are awesome and the reason why i love to come here to tom's hardware for any advice i need when buying a new PC or in this case upgrading.

I checked with two other stores i trust and this is what i can get right now form Noctua that is compatible with AM4: Noctua NH-U9S
Is it as good as what you are suggesting? If not maybe i should search for the u12a on amazon

Then i guess i made the right choice going with the 3900x. Thanks bud. The only cooler i can get for Noctua right now is the one i mentioned. Is it any good?

Thanks i'll get the Aorus Elite :)

Right now i want to get these:
Vengeance LPX 32GB 16X2 DDR4 3600MHZ
Corsair HX750I 80 plus Platinum Modular 750W 13.5CM

I also realized i need to get a good cooler but the only one i can get from Noctua like the guys here suggested, is the Noctua NH-U9S

What do you think?

The u9s is a compact cooler and if you got a normal sized case there are better options. Like the Scythe Assassin or Be Quiet Dark Rock 4.
The u9s is made specific for beeing compact and you can only expect so much cooling from a smaller heatsink and fan. I would get something bigger.

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Dude you guys are awesome and the reason why i love to come here to tom's hardware for any advice i need when buying a new PC or in this case upgrading.

I checked with two other stores i trust and this is what i can get right now form Noctua that is compatible with AM4: Noctua NH-U9S
Is it as good as what you are suggesting? If not maybe i should search for the u12a on amazon

Then i guess i made the right choice going with the 3900x. Thanks bud. The only cooler i can get for Noctua right now is the one i mentioned. Is it any good?

Thanks i'll get the Aorus Elite :)

Right now i want to get these:
Vengeance LPX 32GB 16X2 DDR4 3600MHZ
Corsair HX750I 80 plus Platinum Modular 750W 13.5CM

I also realized i need to get a good cooler but the only one i can get from Noctua like the guys here suggested, is the Noctua NH-U9S

What do you think?
Hi eli150,

The Noctua NH-U9S is quite a good cooler although I think the NH-U12S is a better choice:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d9l_and_nh_u9s_cpu_cooler_review,11.html

You could also try the Wraith Prism cooler that comes for free with the r9 3900x and upgrade later if you're not happy with it.

All the best.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
The u9s is a compact cooler and if you got a normal sized case there are better options. Like the Scythe Assassin or Be Quiet Dark Rock 4.
The u9s is made specific for beeing compact and you can only expect so much cooling from a smaller heatsink and fan. I would get something bigger.
Hi eli150,

The Noctua NH-U9S is quite a good cooler although I think the NH-U12S is a better choice:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d9l_and_nh_u9s_cpu_cooler_review,11.html

You could also try the Wraith Prism cooler that comes for free with the r9 3900x and upgrade later if you're not happy with it.

All the best.

How is this then? Is it better then the U12S?
Noctua NH-D15SE-AM4

Reactions: my_pc_build

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
The nhd15 is the best air cooler currently on the market. I think the se version is a single fan model, made for ensuring ram clearance. So yes, much better than the u12s.
Top choice, yes better than the U12S.
All the best.

Thanks then i guess i'll go with that one.. or i can get this from amazon non se version form amazon. Does it mean i'll get an extra fan but it will block one of the ram slots on the Aorus elite x570?

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Thanks then i guess i'll go with that one.. or i can get this from amazon non se version form amazon. Does it mean i'll get an extra fan but it will block one of the ram slots on the Aorus elite x570?
I think non-se just means it's not the AMD special edition - only trick to watch for is that it has the AM4 mounting plate. If your Thermaltake Chaser A31 has enough clearance, you can just raise one of the fans to clear the ram, the nhd15 has an excellent fant mounting mechanism. If not, just go with one fan it will still give excellent cooling.
All the best.

I just looked. The SE version is am4 only. Meaning it doesn't include any other brackets. So still just as large as the non se. Which poses a problem for you. If mypcbuild is correct and your case is the a31, it only has 160mm cpu cooler clearance. The d15 is 165mm. So it wont clear the side panel.

Is this your case?https://www.thermaltake.com/chaser-a31.html

Look for the d15s, which is a 160mm cooler. Which may still pose an issue unfortunately. You may have to look at different coolers or a new case. Just pay attention to cpu cooler clearance if case shopping.

Reactions: my_pc_build

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
I think non-se just means it's not the AMD special edition - only trick to watch for is that it has the AM4 mounting plate. If your Thermaltake Chaser A31 has enough clearance, you can just raise one of the fans to clear the ram, the nhd15 has an excellent fant mounting mechanism. If not, just go with one fan it will still give excellent cooling.
All the best.
I just looked. The SE version is am4 only. Meaning it doesn't include any other brackets. So still just as large as the non se. Which poses a problem for you. If mypcbuild is correct and your case is the a31, it only has 160mm cpu cooler clearance. The d15 is 165mm. So it wont clear the side panel.

Is this your case?https://www.thermaltake.com/chaser-a31.html

Look for the d15s, which is a 160mm cooler. Which may still pose an issue unfortunately. You may have to look at different coolers or a new case. Just pay attention to cpu cooler clearance if case shopping.

I forgot how difficult this can get but i just can give up on PC gaming so.. new case? 😅
what do you guys recommend considering i'm getting these parts:
CPU: Ryzen 3900X
CPU Cooelr: Noctua NH-D15 (or the Noctua NH-D15-se whatever is best for this build)
Mobo: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE
Memory: Vengeance LPX 16GB 8X2 DDR4 3600MHZ (might get 32GB)
PSU: Corsair HX750I 80 plus Platinum Modular 750W

I clearly need something big enough maybe a case with good fans so the mobo wont get too hot?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cases are very personal items, kinda like keyboards and mice. You have to build in it, look at it, deal with it, we don't. So you can get all sorts of ideas or opinions, many of them good or valid, but you'll need to figure what works for you.

There's things like rgb, airflow, classic looks, closed front, doors, tempered glass, mid or full or even mITX towers, color, optical or not etc. Once you have a decent idea of what works, use pcpartpicker.com to narrow your choices down to 2 or 3 top contenders you'd be happy with. Then ask opinions on those.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Cases are very personal items, kinda like keyboards and mice. You have to build in it, look at it, deal with it, we don't. So you can get all sorts of ideas or opinions, many of them good or valid, but you'll need to figure what works for you.

There's things like rgb, airflow, classic looks, closed front, doors, tempered glass, mid or full or even mITX towers, color, optical or not etc. Once you have a decent idea of what works, use pcpartpicker.com to narrow your choices down to 2 or 3 top contenders you'd be happy with. Then ask opinions on those.
Thanks i'll do that. I honestly dont really care about things like looks or RGB. I just want it to have good air flow and maybe 2 front usb connections

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
I have a question about the mobo though.. Can i change it to the x570 aorus pro wifi?

EDIT: checked. Definitely can. Just not sure i should. I kind of want Bluetooth and wifi connectivity and the Pro version has better BT

Last edited:
For case reviews check out gamersnexus on youtube. They also have online articles. They review a lot of newer cases and break down everything. They're very critical and give tons of data points. Air flow, case temp, etc.

I like the fractal design meshify series for airflow. Love my R6, but while it has decent flow, it's a quiet focused case vs flow focused. The meshify c and focus g both have good flow. A lot of folks seem to like the nzxt lineup, I dont. They lack airflow, but do have a nice aesthetic. This is where the subjectiveness karadjgne was talking about comes in to play, and why it's so hard to recommend a case.

Reactions: eli150

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
For case reviews check out gamersnexus on youtube. They also have online articles. They review a lot of newer cases and break down everything. They're very critical and give tons of data points. Air flow, case temp, etc.

I like the fractal design meshify series for airflow. Love my R6, but while it has decent flow, it's a quiet focused case vs flow focused. The meshify c and focus g both have good flow. A lot of folks seem to like the nzxt lineup, I dont. They lack airflow, but do have a nice aesthetic. This is where the subjectiveness karadjgne was talking about comes in to play, and why it's so hard to recommend a case.

Thanks! I haven't decided which case i should get.. a lot of choices but i just need one that fits with everything.
Btw i think i'm think im gonna go with the aorus master mobo. It has bt, wifi and i heard something about its voltage control being better.. not sure what that was about but it was recommended to me. What do you think?

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Ok so im really starting to think that maybe i should reconsider pretty much everything..

I was going to go with a 3900x paired with the arous master, corsair 750w and 32gb of ram.
Now im not so sure i should pay that much on a PC that i'm upgrading for gaming.. its not a budget problem i just want to buy something that is worth the money. What do you guys think? Do you think the 3900x will last longer than the 3700x?

The extra cores/threads will surely come in handy. But when is the question. I'm guessing it will be several years before a need for more than 8 cores is necessary. The same with 32gb of ram, unless you have a specific need for that much, its currently overkill.

You could always build the 3700x now and upgrade in a few years if the need arises. The am4 platform is getting one more generation, so if in 4-5 years you need more, you'll probably be able to grab a cheap 3900x,3950x or any number of possible 4xxx series. But by that time, who knows what will be available. 5xxx, 6xxx, ddr5 ram?

It's really up to you how much you want to spend. I'd honestly recommend the 3700x, as it should be plenty for years to come.

Solution

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013

Thanks man. It does look like the 3900x is kind of an overkill right now. Also, Intel's i7 9700k is cheaper and beats it most of the time but i still think i should go with Ryzen. I guess there is no real reason to consider the 3800x right?

Also, If i do get the 3700x or 3800x will the stock cooler be enough?

Last edited:
I'd still go with ryzen, and that's actually the route I am going fairly soon. Price to performance ryzen wins. The 9700k will beat it in max fps, but coming from the system you have now, to either intel or ryzen, will be so much better. Youd be hard pressed to tell a difference.

If the 3800x is priced fairly close than it's worth considering. But if it's more than $20 difference I'd say no. For example, newegg has the 3700x for 325 and the 3800x for 340. It may be worth it, but really it's only .1ghz extra boost. Same cooler.

Go 3700x. Try the stock cooler and see. Itll be ok, not great, but shouldn't overheat.

Reactions: eli150

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
I'd still go with ryzen, and that's actually the route I am going fairly soon. Price to performance ryzen wins. The 9700k will beat it in max fps, but coming from the system you have now, to either intel or ryzen, will be so much better. Youd be hard pressed to tell a difference.

If the 3800x is priced fairly close than it's worth considering. But if it's more than $20 difference I'd say no. For example, newegg has the 3700x for 325 and the 3800x for 340. It may be worth it, but really it's only .1ghz extra boost. Same cooler.

Go 3700x. Try the stock cooler and see. Itll be ok, not great, but shouldn't overheat.

Yeah also things might change because the 3700x does have more threads. Thanks again dude. I'll probably get it with the Aorus Elite. Mayeb its best if i get a cooler too just to be safe. Is there a cheaper good cooler to go with this setup or should i still get the noctua nd15?
I can also get the hx750i for a good price. Is 750W really that much of an overkill? I can also get the rm650i.
For memory i'll just get a 16gb 3600mhz.. 32gb is probably too much

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys,

I managed to make some progress. I ordered the corsair obsidian 500d as my new case and the noctua nh-d15 chromax black.

Haven't decided yet but i'm still considering getting the 3900x for my new rig. In that case i thought i might as well get the x570 Aorus Master. Is it an overkill? Is the Elite really enough for the 3900x?
I also noticed the master has better audio apart from having wifi and bluetooth. Is there any other meaningful difference between the two?

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Ordered everything. This whole thing was giving me a headache so i went with the 3900x :)

Thanks to all of the people who tried to help me with the parts i needed for the "upgrade" its basically a new PC 😅

Definitely take this guy's advice if you want the best out of your money. I just wanted something a bit more and luckily could afford it