[SOLVED] Need some advice on some issues with i7-10700k

A Hamburgl3r

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
I just received my i7 -10700k today along with an ssd drive and a new motherboard. Installed these parts and did a clean install of windows on the new SSD and everything booted great. I have a weird issue that started on Modern Warfare where it would keep crashing me desktop over and over so I took game mode off (Game mode on this MSI board boots CPU and RAM speeds) then was able to play for a couple minutes then started crashing. Did some research on the crashing and some people were saying is was power related that replacing their power supplies work. So I decided to try Escape from tarkov and it ran well with no crashing so i tried it with game mode enable and I got a black screen on the game but was able to alt tab out. I also did encounter once when messing with the settings my PC just randomly turning off so I am starting to lean towards it being a weak power supply. I did multiple power consumption calculators and they said I need 450-500 watt power supply which I have a 600 Watt so I am just unsure at this time. Could this two year old power supply just be too old for this new hardware or is it something else.

My Specs:
i7-10700k
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon
G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Dark Rock pro 4 CPU Cooler
Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1tb
600W EVGA power supply

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your build was literally a couple days after a recent forced Windows Update. It'd be a miracle if they could do an update without breaking even ONE PC.
Best I can say about this one is to just update all available drivers - mobo and gpu.

600W EVGA of 2 years... https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=14&A=600000000000
1 of the 5 doesn't belong - the 2019 GD - the other 4 all suck for high end builds.

ahamburgler664

Commendable
Feb 9, 2018
Starting to get more black screens then and PC will turn off then just turn back on. I’m assuming that the power supply is just not enough when under load. Just ordered a 750w so let’s see if that helps.

I did not see a GPU spec'd/listed in the build; are you playing games with integrated video? (Not to say you don't have a power supply issue, but, be aware many demanding games will not play from Intel integrated graphics, which is increasingly common...)