Question Need some advice on these issues before I buy replacements.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
First here are my PC specs:

CPU: i7 4790k (Not OC'd, shouldn't have Turbo, might have XMP)
GPU: 980ti Strix (Not OC'd, shouldn't have any non-factory boost settings on either)
RAM: 1333hz 16gb ram from Corsair (idr the rest of the specs, but might have XMP too)
PSU: RM750 from Corsair
MOBO: Asus Maximum Hero VII
AIO: H100i GTX from Corsair (2 fan radiator)
Ambient Room Temp: Mid 80f to low 90f (my room is small, and my PC runs hot) this is WITH the AC set to 76f.

All of these components are in a 7-10yr range for age, I think.

Now onto my issues:

1. Recently, as of yesterday, my PC was rebooting itself. It had an "Anti-Surge Power Protection" message when it booted back up. At the time a game was running for ~hour or so prior. The day before I had a game running most of the day, but a less demanding one. After the PC rebooted, I opened the game again, same issue.

The game was Final Fantasy XIV. I thought maybe it was the problem, so I tried another game, Warframe. This also caused the PC to reboot. So, I tried a third, less demanding game, Runescape. This also caused the issue. For all 3 games it was not an immediate "Game open: PC Crash" some of the crashes took 2 minutes or 10minutes or so.

This leads me to believe my power supply is dying?

I decided to take my PC apart to give it a deep clean. I left the MOBO in but took everything including the CPU out, cleaned it and put it back together. Long story short, the CPU was increasingly raising in temp all the way to a displayed 100c because the thermal paste was bad (~10yr old too). So, I went out and bought new thermal paste and after some trial and error the CPU temps seem ok (40-70c range) now that I've swapped the AIO to intake instead of exhaust: but this leads me to my next issue.

2. With the AIO set to Intake, my CPU temps seem ok, in a 1-2hr test with a game open the temps peaked at 77c and stayed around 61-64c for the most part. However, my GPU is now sitting at 91c constantly with 100% usage, and I think this is because it's now getting the CPU's exhaust heat instead of cooler air. Both the GPU and CPU are around high 40 mid 50c with just this browser open.

I also noticed something wrong with my AIO, two things in fact:
The first, is that the cables connecting the second fan header are ripped off from the main fan header. The fan doesn't work if I plug it into that header (so I have it plugged into a MOBO fan header).
The second, is that I think the fans I use for the AIO are on their way out too, they rattle quite a bit when under high speeds. Tapping on the top of my case, where the AIO is, tends to make them stop eventually.

With all of this said, after I got the CPU temps under control, I had FFXIV open for almost 2 hours and the computer did not reboot itself at all.
Is my PSU even having issues? Should I just replace the AIO? I can't really afford to buy both at the moment.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Here are some graphs I got from MSI Afterburner:
This one is showing the test with the game open, AFTER I got everything "under control". And I noticed the temps.

This one is right before I started the test:

I have a few more but I forgot to label them so I'm not entirely sure when I took em lol.

I can grab new screenshots it they'll help anyone get an answer.
Those huge gaps (in the GPU Usage) is from me alt-tabbing off the game, for the record.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Update: I think it's my AIO dying.
1 of it's fans is grinding and one of it's pipes doesn't seem to have any liquid coming through it.
The other one seems partially clogged too.

I guess that's what needs replacing.

But if anyone has information about why my computer was rebooting itself, I'd love the information.