[SOLVED] Need some advice

FaolGamer

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Hello. Sorry if this is not the right forum. I need some advice more than anything. So, I am in need of a new monitor, but not sure what to get. My current system has a GTX 1060 3GB GPU, with ASUS P8P67_PRO MOBO using Intel i5-2500k CPU (not sure you need that info). My current monitor is a Hanns-G Hi221 and looking to upgrade that because I am having a few issues with the monitor. I mainly use it for gaming, movies and some writing. My question it this: without upgrading my whole system (which I will eventually because newer games are starting to show the age of my system), can I safely get a newer monitor such as a 1440p or should I stick with a 1080p? Hope this makes sense.

Solution
GTX1060 is a decent card.
My thought is to buy the monitor you want.
Your card will run it just fine. you always have the option to reduce the resolution if you need higher performance.
You can even run 4k resolution@60hz on integrated HD630 using displayport.
Movies are fine, for fast action games you might want to lower settings
Consider something larger and wider.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With a 1060 3GB, I would say stick with 1080p unless your planned upgrade is quite soon.

You could get a 1440p display and run it at a lower resolution, but that rarely looks good.

Alternatively you could spend on a high end 1080p monitor, like a high refresh rate display. That way when you can get more FPS, you have that. Or now, with older and lighter titles, you could take advantage of that now.

FaolGamer

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Thanks for the advice. Not sure when I am upgrading, so I guess I will stick with 1080p. Another quick question though, would i really need to get a 1440p monitor when I upgrade? I guess I don;t quite understand the advantages of having one, just that people suggest them over 1080p. Since, as you can see, I have not upgraded in awhile, I have not kept up on all the info.

GTX1060 is a decent card.
My thought is to buy the monitor you want.
Your card will run it just fine. you always have the option to reduce the resolution if you need higher performance.
You can even run 4k resolution@60hz on integrated HD630 using displayport.
Movies are fine, for fast action games you might want to lower settings
Consider something larger and wider.

Solution