Question Need some airflow \ temps advice

shasoosh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
I have a Corsair Carbide SPEC-06 (bad airflow case)
and 5 120mm fans, 3 at front, top and back.
3 of them are Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM, the other 2 came with the case.
Back and top are exhaust.
I also have a 9900K with a be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4 and a 3080 FE.
Currently while gaming at 4K my GPU will climb pretty fast to 3100RPM and will sit on 75.0c and 104c on vram.
I've also tried setting my 120mm fans curve to the GPU temp, that will get my GPU to 73.0c, 102c vram and around 2400 rpm but all my 120mm will be on 1700rpm (their 100% percent)
Another weird issue is that nothing of the above changed when the front and side panel are removed for testing purposes..
The main issue I'm trying to solve is noise. Both options are really loud.
What is my best option to reduce heat without repadding my GPU? (Replace fans, replace case, replace the Dark Rock PRO 4 which blocks airflow etc')
How much benefit will I get if I'll replace all my 120mm to SILENT WINGS PRO 4 for example?

Another weird issue is that nothing of the above changed when the front and side panel are removed for testing purposes..
That means that your ambient temp. is too high. You need to address that first.

Also, those 3 Noctua fans are good but they are sitting ducks with a solid front panel. Assuming they are front pull.

Such high performance parts should never be paired with bad airflow cases anyway.

shasoosh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
The ambient temp is usually around 25c.
The case was a poor choice. Right now I'm trying to figure out if there is a way around this or I'm just beating around the bush and a new case is the way to go.

The case was a poor choice. Right now I'm trying to figure out if there is a way around this or I'm just beating around the bush and a new case is the way to go.
Then its the core temperatures, which is fine. These GDDR6x VRAMs are pretty high performance/endurance components and 75c in 4k gaming is acceptable temp.
I was assuming this was a humid region.

logainofhades

Titan

A better air flow focused case is probably a good idea. For noise and airflow, this one might be a good candidate, for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ B&H)
Total: $89.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-25 10:20 EDT-0400

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You have to repad the 3080 FE. While the FE cooler this generation is innovative, Nvidia rather screwed the pooch on Vram cooling. No amount of improved airflow is going to fix the atrocious Vram junction.

Fortunately, others have already done the research(trial and error) for you, and the go-to pads look to be Gelid's Extreme 2mm for the die side of the PCB, and 3mm for the backside.
https://willmnorris.medium.com/guide-to-nvidia-3080-fe-thermal-pad-mod-cf378339f7ac

Reactions: CompuTronix