Question Need some guidance on selecting a Motherboard

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Hello Everyone!

Looking to build a new system and I really want to understand my selection of MB, so I'm looking for some guidance.

- I believe I'll be using an i7-9700K and reusing a GTX 1070.

- An issue my wife and I ran into with our current MB (running i5-3570K) is that the wifi doesn't support a 5.0 GHz signal from our wireless apparently. So, this will be necessary going forward.

- I have SATA SSD and HDD that I'll be reusing. (I have been looking at M.2 for storage if anything to just cut down on another cable)

- I'd like a board with USB 3.1 (Gen1/2) and maybe a Type-C.

- Support for 32GB RAM, though I'll probably use 16GB.

- I think I can get away with a Micro-ATX.

With sooo many choices out there, I really want to zero in on a board that will provide the services without bloat/extra cost. Would anyone out there help me dig down to a sufficient board? I'm digging into retailer sites pretty hard, but there's just so much to look through even with all the filters.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Example of what I'm looking at... MSI B360M

Last edited:
Are you changing just because you want to upgrade or is it mainly a wifi thing?
You can always save a lot of money, dont upgrade and buy a decent Wifi adaptor

As for the new motherboard, everything you mention is pretty much on ANY modern microATX - the difference will come down to personal preference.
Also if you went to ITX - it comes with everything you ever need all in one, which could be a better solution over the mATX.

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Are you changing just because you want to upgrade or is it mainly a wifi thing?
You can always save a lot of money, dont upgrade and buy a decent Wifi adaptor

As for the new motherboard, everything you mention is pretty much on ANY modern microATX - the difference will come down to personal preference.
Also if you went to ITX - it comes with everything you ever need all in one, which could be a better solution over the mATX.

I'm mainly upgrading because I'm upgrading the i7-3570K and that's forcing me into a new socket type.

Would you please elaborate on the ITX? I'm not familiar with it as I've only used ATX variants in my builds. What is it, and how does it come with "everything" I'll ever need? Is that just how they come ( a swiss army knife of MBs?).

Thanks.

I am running a i7 2600k with a 2060 and I can max out any game @ 1080p just so you know (the cpu with 4c/8t is still enough for the next year or 2).

ITX is a really tiny form factor, so they build everything into it. It generally only has 1 PCI-e for a GPU, 2 ram slots.

If you go to pcpartpicker.com and put in your CPU on a new build
then click on motherboards
at the left side, you can choose size
then scroll down more and you can choose what you want it to have, then at least you can see the prices and differences