Need some help. Deciding to upgrade or not.

rescueswimmer

Reputable
Oct 24, 2017
Need some advice from the hive. I built my PC about 8 8 years ago and starting to show its age with the kids trying to game now.

I7-2600K 16 gig of ram and an GTX570.

With that being said. I have seen some of the benchmarks with the newer processors vs the 2600k and it does alright, for being 8 years old.

With that being said. I was going to just upgrade the GPU kind of as a stop gap until this dies all toghether. So my question to you guys or gals with the i72600K and sporting 2 1080p asus 247 @88hz refresh. What is the best Graphics card I can go with without throwing away $$

I spoke to 3 people at EVGA and all 3 gave me 3 different answers from a 1050 to 1060ssc, to the 1070TI and I personally was leaning 1070ti, but would like some advice on this.

Solution
Usually better to buy a mid-range card and then replace it when newer hardware is available then to buy an expensive card and only get to utilize it later.

If you were planning on a CPU/Motherboard/Ram and probably monitor upgrade in the next few months, then the faster GPU makes more sense.
I think the 1070ti is a waste of money, for the price get a 1080 or save a little and get a normal 1070 or a 1060 6GB. Or maybe try and find a used 980ti (basically a 1070 in performance) although that can be pretty iffy since most were used by miners and may have been run hard.

As far as your CPU, although old I highly doubt their will be any bottleneck with it, and if there is it should be small.

Since you have two 1080p monitors, a GTX1060 would be fine. If you were running 1440p monitors and/or higher refresh rates, then a GTX1070 would be better. Since, you would be saving money on the GPU, another upgrade would be to add an SSD for the OS and programs. This would make an older PC act more responsive.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The i7-2600K is still a solid processor.

I'd say for GPU, 1060 6GB, or RX580, depending on which one you can get a better deal on. The RX570 can also be one to consider, though its performance is a bit less than the 1060. Again, it's all a matter of what you can find a reasonable deal on, since GPUs are still suffering somewhat inflated pricing.

This assumes you're only using one of the screens to game, rather than doing dual-monitor gaming.

rescueswimmer

Reputable
Oct 24, 2017
Appreciate the quick responses.

I just did not want to spend the money on the 1070ti if I was not going to get any real benefit out of it, vs the 1060 and I also didn't want to have to buy another card in a year or 2 if the old 2600k was still trucking along. and I already have and SSD. Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Usually better to buy a mid-range card and then replace it when newer hardware is available then to buy an expensive card and only get to utilize it later.

If you were planning on a CPU/Motherboard/Ram and probably monitor upgrade in the next few months, then the faster GPU makes more sense.

Solution