Question Need some help getting a newly installed f connector(?) / cable outlet to work with my router

Jul 26, 2019
I'm aware of how simple this should be so apologies for asking a somewhat dumb question here, but I want to move our Router / Modem into my bedroom and my cable outlet's been busted for years so my dad stripped it down a little and installed a new f connector (?) port with a new faceplate and got it screwed in snug to the wall. The router couldn't get internet connection when I screwed it in, which I'm assuming is due to it not being "active".. I've never done this or have knowledge of where the lines run to our basement, but I do know where the power box is and my dad pointed out that there are wires tied and running across the ceiling towards it so one must be the end from my room... right? How would I go about finding the right cable, or how should I properly test whatever unplugged cables there are going towards that power box? Figured I'd ask for a quick walk through to get it connected before I go sticking my hand in a powerbox

kanewolf

Titan
You can use a meter or buy a coax tracer. To use a multi-meter, you would visually trace the wire as best as possible. Then in your bedroom, you would short the center conductor to the shield with a jumper wire. Then you test the coax at the other end with a multi-meter until you find one that is shorted.
That identifies the coax, but getting signal to that cable is independent of tracing the coax.

If you have cable or antenna TV and a small portable TV, that's the easiest way to trace cables without specialized equipment.

And the end, u may have to call the ISP tech and pay him to find the other end of that cable and make your outlet active. Cable guys know what they are looking for.

Jul 26, 2019
Yeah you're right, I called Spectrum immediately after posting and they said they've got to send a tech over to just open the box, flip the switch or whatever and the outlets are granted internet to the modem. Apparently its illegal to do it yourself which is unfortunate since it'll be a f ew days till he stops by, and the box is just sitting outside my house...