Need Some Help Getting Into Programming

huntersguns

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Ok, so I would really really like to get into programming (Its been like a dream to me) I plan to use Python cause people say its easy for beginners (Ive never coded before). I know my way around computers, I game on my pc everyday. I would like to know your opinions about what language to learn etc.

I started with BASIC and then moved on to Java. To this day I still recommend Java for beginners because of the built in safety measures, forced object oriented structure and cross-platform nature. Once you got Java down you can move on to something meatier like C++ if you wish to take it that far.

There is a lot of support from Sun Microsystems (aka Oracle) for people at every stage of Java learning. They even have tutorials on their site to help you. The same can be said for pretty much any language though. Whichever you end up choosing, rest assured there are tons of resources and helpful people everywhere.

HowNowBrownCow

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
I first learned programming on MATLAB and then FORTRAN, but it was programming for scientific model purposes. Now I am taking my first semester of a computer science A.S. program, and they have C++ as the first programming class to take. I guess I'm not recommending a language, since the only common one I have any experience with so far is C++ (I do love FORTRAN however), but if that's the route you take, I would recommend picking up the C++ For Dummies book. It breaks things down pretty well for beginners, and has you build programs as you go along similar to how a college class does it. I would imagine they have JAVA For Dummies or Python For Dummies, etc