Build Advice Need some help (gpu)

chanto

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hey all

I am in the middle of uppdating my pc and some of my new components have arrived, its a system thats "in the works".
Mostly used for gaming and my preffered games atm is "WOW" and "WOT" (dont laugh )

What I have atm is:

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Gaming X (forgot this one)

MSI Z370 Gaming M5, Socket-1151

Intel Core i5-8600K

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

Samsung 970 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5'' HDD

+ old case and a 60 hz 24 " samsung monitor.

I have bought

Corsair RM750x, 750W PSU
MSI Optix MAG321CQR (was on offer)

Planing to get me a 5700xt when they come out with better coolers, guessing withinn a month or so. Now can I use my old gpu to run my new monitor or do I wait for my new gpu ? also can I use the 5700xt on my mb or do I need to wait for the X570 I have planed to buy ?

Next in line to order is:

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON, S-AM4 (or something simmilar)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz 16GB

Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB M.2 SSD (maybe)

Have ordered Cooler Master MasterCase H500M so really just a waiting game for me.......Looking forward to use my new monitor to its fullest

Last edited by a moderator:

WildCard999

Titan
I wouldn't replace the 8600K with the 3600X unless you need the extra cores/threads for streaming or video editing. The 8600K (especially if overclocked) games just as good as the 3600X if not better depending on the game and I know both WoT & WoW don't need more then 6 cores to play smoothly.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/3941vs4040

The 1050 ti will be fine to use now but you may want to adjust the graphic settings to play at 1440P.

Reactions: chanto

WildCard999

Titan
Thank you for youre answer Wildcard :) much appreciated
Your welcome! So yea the only thing I'd upgrade next is the GPU although if your going to get into CPU overclocking you'll want to replace the cooler as you won't get much from the 212.

You'll want to double check the clearance but this would be much better and very quiet.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $47.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-25 10:04 EDT-0400

chanto

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Wow really ? :)

Yeah the monitor is 1440P 144hz so wount be aming any higher, again thank you very very very much Wilcard :)

Now since you have had so exellent answers for me, what gpu would you recomend for me now that you now my specs and gear ?

WildCard999

Titan
Wow really ? :)

Yeah the monitor is 1440P 144hz so wount be aming any higher, again thank you very very very much Wilcard :)

Now since you have had so exellent answers for me, what gpu would you recomend for me now that you now my specs and gear ?
I think your choice of the RX 5700 XT is a worthwhile upgrade over the 1050 ti and I think it's smart to wait for aftermarket cooling versions to come out. Even with the 5700 XT you will still need to adjust some settings to get 144hz but it really comes down to the game.

For competitive FPS I turn down the settings to keep the FPS high but also to get rid of distracting effects in the game. For your single player, MMO or less competitive games I'd crank up the settings and keep the FPS around 70-100 (or whatever is preferable for the game). Even slower paced games if you were to change the FPS from lets say, 75 to 144hz the difference is very mild so for that I would go with the higher graphic settings as long as the FPS is stable.

logainofhades

Titan
For those titles, yea, you really do not need a new CPU. Some newer titles might give you some issues, with regards to frametime variance/stutter, as they really do like the extra threads of say an 8700k, or an R5 3600. The time and headache involved, to get better multicore support, it might be simpler to just upgrade to an i9 9900k/9900kf, after a bios update.