Question Need some help installing the Artic 34 Esports Duo

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
The issue I am having is that the 34 Esports Duo won't sit down far enough on the bolts for me to screw on the thumb screws. I will post pictures.

Motherboard is an ASUS AM4 X570 TUF Plus.

UQf08G7.jpg

HNAYLZW.jpg

z2at1lt.jpg

The cooler sits level right on the CPU. But it won't go down far enough so I can screw on the little thumb screws. They basically have nothing to screw onto.

Now when I took off the black mounting brackets for the AMD cooler the backplate did come off. But I just held it on and put the bolts in. I believe I put it on the right way. It's the side with the black metal facing out. There is this white thing on the other side of the backplate. Should I remove that or leave it on? It's not that thick.

Anyway some help would be appreciated greatly. I would like to move on with my build and maybe I can get it done some time tonight or tomorrow.

I really wanted to use that cooler.

Last edited:

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Leave the black back plate on. And are you sure the mounting bolts are not in the motherboard upside down?

Yeah I have them in correctly. I followed Arctics instructions and I even watched videos on how to mount it several times. Leaving the backplate on is the only way to mount it. I was wondering if the white thing on the back of the plate is supposed to be peeled off or something. But it's so thin I doubt that would make much of a difference.

It's funny cause I tried to install this same cooler on a intel 1151 board a few months back and the backplate wouldn't fit. I was sure it would fit on this board but it doesn't.

I am not the only one with the issue. I heard there is some kind of special bracket or something I would need.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Do not remove the white backing what so ever. And really really make sure you are using the correct hardware. Here is a time indexed video. I know its for an intel install but it shows 3 different stand offs. I fear you are using the wrong one and not the AM4 standoffs and other AM4 labled brackets.
View: https://youtu.be/RzPBiMwtCeE?t=602

I am using the right standoffs. I am using the right brackets. It only comes with two of them and they get flipped around for Intel or AMD.

Only the standoffs for AMD AM4 boards will even work in the backplate. The others won't even screw in.

Thanks for answering my question about the white cover on the backplate. It's pretty thin so I figured that wasn't the issue.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
I called Arctic and they said they would send me a special backplate for my issue. It will have longer threaded holes on it. I am hoping it works. It sucks cause I have to wait 2-3 days now. But they said they would send it to me for free.

Obviously there is an issue there and if Arctic knows they should just put the backplate in the damned box with the cooler. It makes more sense then having people waiting around for a part. I mean they are giving it away for free.