Need some help with my first gaming PC

Thobio

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Hi, and thank you in advance for taking a look at my qustion. (I am trying to be as specific as possible, so there's gonna be a wall of text, sorry about that)

I am searching for a new PC, my very first gaming PC.
I have no confidence in being able to build one myself (I am not prepared to throw that much money around on the off-chance I mess something up real bad), so i thought the best option was to buy one where i could still choose specific components, but the sellers would put it together for me.

The fun thing is though, seeing as this is my very first time buying a gaming PC, I don't know which parts would be ideal, yet still managable within a reasonable budget. So i asked some friends to help me with it, but I'm still not very confident I have the right things. Know this though, it does not need to be a cutting edge beast that can handle literally anything you can throw at it, I just want to use it for gaming, and gaming only (and some office work)

To make it a little easier for you, and especially myself, I used the site: alternate.nl (you saw that right, I'm from the Netherlands) which allows me to build upon a pre-made gaming PC online, and then makes me able to buy that specific PC.

Here's what I've got so far (note that I only quote everything from the site, so certain specifics may or may not be on the list):

Processor/CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Quad-Core*
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER*
Memory: Crucial 8 GB DDR3-1600*
Graphic card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
Harddisk: Toshiba 2 TB 7200rpm*
Optical drive: Samsung SH-224fB* (does this part even matter?)
Case: Aerocool Mechatron Black Window *
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler*
Power supply: Cooler Master G650M*
Windows: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit*
Assurance: 2-year turn in

Price: €1366,-
(* It means it was already part of the standard PC's you can choose from, so generally does not go any cheaper on this site)

So the questions are: Is this any good? Are certain parts not compatible? (I could only choose a select few parts to go with it, so i could choose from say 4 different type of graphic cards etc. probably has to do with compatibility and range of stock) Am I being robbed of all my money? Am I tiring you all with a huge wall of text? (I know I am tiring myself with it)

Thank you all in advance for taking a peek at my questions and reading 'till the very end.

Solution

SamiSC

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
first thing you should try to build it yourself or find some shop that could do it for you to make things easier, because of what I can see is you can end up with better parts for the price, performance and quality.

everything is fixed and you can only choose the graphics card and SSD. watch a few youtube vids on how to build and you will see that its pretty straight forwards.

You could get a cheaper motherboard since you're not getting an unlocked CPU; no reason to buy a more expensive overclocking motherboard like the Ranger; though I don't think that website lets you. The parts you have are all compatible fyi, so no worries there. You have a good CPU there and a solid GPU for 1080p gaming. Are you getting ripped off? Well sure you are, probably about $400-$500 worth, but that's the cost of buying a pre-fab gaming pc. Totally understand the apprehension with building your own computer, but it isn't that hard, it's kinda fun, and feels like an accomplishment. It can be a PITA when you have DOA parts or bad wire starts smoking or a PSU shoots a blue flame out the top or a short keeps your new build from turning on, but overall it's worth it in my opinion.

Solution