Need some info

lorddeff07

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Ok.. I was reading about the inner workings of GDDR5 and GDDR3 and then the basic kind nand used in SSDs and then it occurred to me that at the core of PCs or games consoles today... its all about moving data from a slower place to a faster place for that data to be readily accessed.

Non-volatile Discs (CDs/DVDs/Blurays/HDDs) being cheapest for storage capacity but slowest for transfer bandwidth. Non volatile Nand flash as used in SSDs being the next best thing but still slow even at 500mb/s peak read/write speeds when compared to say something like volatile GDDR5 ram which can peak at over 250GB/s read/write.

So what I was wondering, just outta curiosity... if say windows OS can run off GDRR5 ram as its system memory, and say a hybrid SSD exists that basically combines lets just say 1TB of non-volatile memory as its "storage partition" and then say 100GB of GDDR5 grade volatile memory as its "activity" partition. And say this drive is connected using a proprietary bus that allows you get the peak bandwidth that GDDR5 permits.... wouldn't this mean that PCs or consoles using such tech will literally not have to have system/video ram anymore?

A work scenario will be something like this, you get a game, install it in your "storage partition"... then when you want to play the game it gets moved to the activity partition and basically runs as if you have a GDDR5 cartridge in your system.

In theory, could it be this simple or am i missing something? (and yes, I know something like that will cost a fortune... I'm just talking about the theory behind something like this)

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
This sounds kind of like the reverse idea of a ramdisk, that uses ram as disk space.

I imagine that proprietary bus you speak of has something to do with it not existing.

Im pretty sure memory connects through the north bridge and storage connects through the south bridge, so getting the same device to switch hit would require an interface that goes to both.