Need some major help with this nice gaming machine.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moogleslam

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
It's been about 7 years since I've build a new system, and I've only casually been following hardware changes since then. I started putting the pieces together for a new gaming system I'm going to build, but quickly realized that being out of the loop for so long has left me with lots of questions.

I don't have a firm budget in mind. It's going to be pretty high end, but I'm not going to go crazy a buying i7-980 for instance. I'll be looking to overclock it of course.

Here's what I feel like I've made up my mind on so far:

ASUS VW266H Monitor
Intel Core i7-950
2 x Crucial Real SSD C300 128GB SATA-6GB/s (RAID 0)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA-6GB/s HDD
Lite-On 12X Blu-ray Burner SATA Model iHBS112

So a lot of stuff missing still such as motherboard, memory, PSU, graphics card, etc.

Before I get to that, I have some questions:

With my 1920x1200 monitor, what is the best graphics solution? A single card, or SLI/Crossfire? I'm going to be playing pretty much everything....

I need a motherboard with 3 x SATA-6GB/s connectors for my 2 x SSD and HDD, right? Doesn't seem to be too many of those with this being the only one on newegg that matches my CPU socket as far as I can tell......

Memory recommendations? What's the fastest brands out there these days?

That'll do for now. Thanks

moogleslam

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Will some of the new Sandy Bridge (1155) technology be comparable in speed to the current 1366 technology?

My thinking is I don't want to buy something that is soon to be outdated (1156), but I want something that is high end and fast, so if that's the new Sandy Bridge, I'll wait, otherwise, I'm just going to buy some current 1366 technology......

I supposed the answer is I should wait a couple of weeks for some 1155 reviews and benchmarks...... and I can do that.

wasupmike

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
ya, just wait... it's really not that far off

my guess for you would be to get a Sandy Bridge P67 / Core i5-2500K / R6990 GPU... overclock the CPU (ala - 'K' edition)... and you'll have a gaming monster that'll last you for years @ 1920 resolution gaming