[SOLVED] Need some wisdom from someone who knows DVDs

Sep 28, 2015
Funny question.
So I have a DVD-R disc that I have burned a Windows 10 ISO onto to install on a laptop that doesn't support USB boot. The laptop has a DVD-ROM drive (model number UJDA770) which works fine with official Microsoft installation discs for older versions of Windows. My DVD-R works fine in other laptops, including one so old it doesn't even support the Windows 10 OS (it shows the Windows logo and spinning dots). The laptop I want to get it onto displays nothing. It seems to be a disc format conflict, either in the way the disc was burned or the disc itself. I also tried a Windows XP ISO disc (same DVD-R as my Windows 10 disc) in it that I have used before in other systems, and it reacted identically as to the Windows 10 disc. I am not familiar with "DVD-ROM" drives, is there something I'm missing? Will these even work with writable DVDs? Thanks so much for any ideas.

The UJDA770 is a panasonic dvd-rw drive so in essence should work.

The fact is though that all laptop drives are fairly cheaply made and can have poor disk compatibility.

It may just not like your particular brand of dvd-r.

As already asked has it actually been written on that drive itself??

Have you tried a blank dvd-r in it with recording software to see if it even registers a blank disk?

It may simply be an incompatibility with a certain dvd-r dye type, what brand of dvd-r are you using??

According to these specs, for DVD media it will only read DVD-ROM (commercial DVD movies and the like). DVD-R/RW is a whole different type of media.

This is true, bizarre that a dvd drive with write capabilities (albeit only cd-r) doesn't read dvd-r.

I have however seen that in the past on older standalone players.

Verbatim dvd+r tend to work even on players like this but it would probably be more cost effective to replace the drive itself or buy a cheap external

Also I've NEVER seen any laptop that can't boot from usb media.

Sep 28, 2015
According to these specs, for DVD media it will only read DVD-ROM (commercial DVD movies and the like). DVD-R/RW is a whole different type of media.

Thanks for this, I couldn't find a decent specs sheet for the drive. I'm using some cheap Staples DVDs. I haven't installed an OS on the laptop yet, but if all else fails I can probably install windows 7 and then 10.
The disc was burned with another system using the basic Windows 10 burn utility. It's probably as madmatt30 said, a compatibility issue with the cheap drive. The laptop is ancient and only boots from DVD, disc, or network (but is, in theory, compatible with WIN10). Just thought I'd pose the question here before I burn up all my discs, thanks again.

Sep 28, 2015
Hey, I said that too.. and first (actually)! Bahh hummm bug!

Nah. ;)-

Edit: madmatt30 did get the specs though...

Indeed you did! So I checked again and the boot options are actually DVD, HDD, and Floppy. Apparently if I put floppy at the top of the boot order it WILL boot from a USB drive. So my specific problem is solved sort of, but the DVD drive is still a mystery. I'm guessing I either need a fancy DVD authoring program or some different type of DVD to do it. Moral of this thread will be always try USB I suppose.

The disc was burned with another system using the basic Windows 10 burn utility. It's probably as madmatt30 said, a compatibility issue with the cheap drive. The laptop is ancient and only boots from DVD, disc, or network (but is, in theory, compatible with WIN10).
Windows boot files have changed with later editions of windows 7 from the old bios to the newer UEFI.If you write a windows installation disk from a new system for an old system you have to make sure to select the legacy/bios option.
For a bios system a uefi boot disk will not show up as an boot option, if you get into windows it will probably see the files on it though.

In general you had to finalize CDs/DVDs for them to show up on old drives but we are talking late nineties here.