Need suggestion input on powerful laptop for coding/dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1tin

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
1. What the software and workload I am trying to run in the new system- detailed info on what I would like a new laptop to deliver ?

Answer:
SQL developer (1 instance)
eclipse/ intelliJ (2 instances)
Outlook
Visual Studio
rest clients, etc
Remote connect
Multithreaded java applications (5 to 7 threads at a time)
Qpid
Mostly all of the above will be running simultaneously. System shouldn't lag in response then.
Usual softwares like: Youtube to support 4K resolution, HD video file player (VLC, MX player)*

2. What System configuration (Laptop) using currently?
Answer:
16GB Ram
i5 5th gen quadcore processor (5300U)
SSD
2.3 GHz
64 bit OS
Dell laptop
Symantec Antivirus/ firewall*

3. What is the pain point or problem I am facing - be descriptive ...in the sense...if you say it becomes 'slow' ...what is slowness mean : at first it works fine and then anyways system boot time and lag or latency to open and deliver a rendering or compute slows down? or is it just browsing and streaming slowing down or RAM is highly utilized as workload gets bigger and so it slows down ? or processor cycles cannot deliver ?
Answer:
frequent RAM spikes (reaches around 15 GB very often)
CPU utilization - peaks
Initially they are fine - gradual the latency increases.*

Portability is a priorirty and so no desktops. Only want a laptop.

Country of purchase: India or USA
Price point I am looking at USD1200

With above requirements and pain points which already facing in existing laptop, I request your suggestion / input on whether to go for:
Apple MAC old model A1398 used one excellent quality available for 1000USD( i7 QuadCore + 16GB + 512GB SSD) - should i opt this?
or
any other models with powerful processor + 16GB ?
or
any workstation models with 32GB?

Please recommend.

Solution
Increasingly slower performance in part is caused by new software, updates, which almost always want more horsepower from your machine. U are developer, u should know this already. Sometimes you have no choice but to update and I recommend not until is absolutely necessary.

Maxing out RAM is BBBBBAAAAAADDDD, doing anything. That means your machine will start swaping out to secondary (relative slow) storage. You must avoid max out ram at all cost, or stop complaining machine slow. Notice any ram leak? that's another item a developer would now.

Other than that the biggest 17"? laptop would have the size to accommodate an efficient cooling system for a fast/hot running CPU, as long as you don't mind the weight and bulk.

No personal...
Choice of country India or USA. Well if you have any relative or friend to buy it in USA and bring it with him to India then you can get decent laptop for USD 1200. But if you are converting USD to INR and planning to buy in India you will get nothing decent for USD1200(INR80,000)

Reactions: p1tin
Increasingly slower performance in part is caused by new software, updates, which almost always want more horsepower from your machine. U are developer, u should know this already. Sometimes you have no choice but to update and I recommend not until is absolutely necessary.

Maxing out RAM is BBBBBAAAAAADDDD, doing anything. That means your machine will start swaping out to secondary (relative slow) storage. You must avoid max out ram at all cost, or stop complaining machine slow. Notice any ram leak? that's another item a developer would now.

Other than that the biggest 17"? laptop would have the size to accommodate an efficient cooling system for a fast/hot running CPU, as long as you don't mind the weight and bulk.

No personal recommendation sorry, am not salesman.

Reactions: p1tin
Solution

p1tin

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
very late response....
Well..., the person for whom I asked this for is currently using Dell5540 (i9 + 32GB RAM + 512nvme SSD) and is very happy with the performance.
Thanks for your input though!

Status
Not open for further replies.