Question Need suggestions on file and folder copy and transfer programs that permit transfer of source files and folders to multiple destinations at once

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I have a large music collection that I have worked on for the past year in terms of ripping CDs, creating converted copies of songs, and creating playlists. I have also stored these songs and playlists in assigned folders as both source and backup copies on both my computer's internal and external hard drives. Over time, I may purchase new CDs and add them to my music collection, I have already created a checklist for the ripping, conversion, copy, and transfer processes for my CDs. I have done a couple of CDs with the checklist already, but it has proven far more time consuming than I expected. I have done some research on programs that are designed to copy and transfer files and folders between source and destination locations on either a computer or computers, but I am not certain if they are the ones that meet my needs. What I am looking for is a reliable free or pay copy and transfer program for Windows 10 and hopefully Windows 11 (I may be replacing my computer in the near future) that can monitor my primary music files and folders in their source location on my internal hard drive and when I update those files or folders or their sub-files or sub-folders from a CD rip, audio conversion, or creating or updating a playlist, they automatically copy and transfer at the same time to my assigned backup locations on both the internal and external hard drives and add the new or update the existing files, folders, sub-files, and sub-folders, and create and maintain the structure and layout of the files, folders, sub-files, and sub-folders, when copying and transferring from the source location to the multiple destination locations at once. I feel having a program with such capabilities would save me a great deal of time when adding new songs and albums to my music collection. I would appreciate you suggestions on programs that may meet my needs if such programs exist.

Thanks.

Actually, you've already having this in Windows, namely Robocopy. It have parameters that make it possible to let it probe, say every few minutes for different file versions between two directories.
For running multiple instances, I assume you can use the cmd command in a bat file so both processes can run in parallel.

[edit while typing] I did some superficial resourcing on multiple instances of robocopy in parallell, but in most cases it's all talking about a second call in bat file, so it seems that the two tasks have to run separately. however, this is probably a good thing.

Also, I doubt you can use robocopy to monitore in more than one session at once, so that wuld become difficult - well unless you put up two separate bat files where the first monitors directory0 (source) to directory1, and the second bat file monitors directory to directory2.

USAFRet

Titan
automatically copy and transfer at the same time to my assigned backup locations on both the internal and external hard drives and add the new or update the existing files, folders, sub-files, and sub-folders, and create and maintain the structure and layout of the files, folders, sub-files, and sub-folders,
If this is what you're looking for, there are several possibilities.

FreeFileSync, and its RealTimeSync function.
It can monitor folders, and when there is a change, copy that to 'somewhere else'.

How much data are you working with?
Possibly a central NAS, to store everything.
Any of the mainstream NAS boxes (Synology, QNAP), can copy direct from the PC to the NAS....automagically or on demand.

Does this really need to happen in near real time?

Why must it be "automatic"?

Music file management is probably the biggest single purpose of my PC and has been for 20 years. I work on it 365 days a year; averaging a couple of hours a day.

I could never trust an automated procedure when I can do it manually with a click or two of the appropriate backup program.

I don't see any advantage in being lulled into complacency by a program said to be "automated" with something you (and I) have devoted thousands of hours to.

Automation may be a relatively low risk, but the consequences if your confidence is misplaced is enormous.

Even more important: don't rely on 1 backup, regardless of your decision.

Reactions: Grobe

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I don't intend to fully rely on automation. I still intend to manually check the folders and subfolders such as doing a folder and file count between source and backup copies of my music collection folders on both the internal and external hard drives. I have four music folders total with my music collection. Two on the internal hard drive and two on the external hard drive.

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add the suggestion that you consider Powershell.

The Get-ChildItem cmdlet being the starting point.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/po...ng-with-files-and-folders?view=powershell-7.2

There are many other such links and examples.

A few simple scripts that can be launched via a desktop shortcut will likely do most of the routine work that you require.

And any given script can be customized for special circumstances and requirements.

You can copy the cmdlets provided in the link (and other links) and apply the cmdlets in a test environment away from the original data folders and files.

No need for additional software apps and utilities.

Plus you have full control over the scripts and what they do. All you may need to do is to change a folder name, establish a wild card, or change file extensions, etc..

Overall, at first, stay with multiple simple scripts versus some lengthy, cumbersome, logic filled approach.

Then as you become more comfortable with Powershell and the cmdlets you can create scripts that do even more of the work. Maybe based on some input that you provide when the script is launched.

I don't intend to fully rely on automation. I still intend to manually check the folders and subfolders such as doing a folder and file count between source and backup copies of my music collection folders on both the internal and external hard drives. I have four music folders total with my music collection. Two on the internal hard drive and two on the external hard drive.
Same here. Reason for this is - what if your computer get infected with crypto virus? Well, the automated software will probably make sure the backup gets destroyed as well - because it overwrites the backup with the corrupted files.

Btw both when using rsync and Freefilesync on important files, I also use versioning so that in case of mishap, I'm able to find an older version of each file.

And I will add the suggestion that you consider Powershell.
I have to admint Powershell isn't familiar to me, as I've only using Linux at home. I hope some day I find an article here on Toms Hardware with title "how to backup your files with Powershell".

Ralston18

Titan
There are sorts of such tutorials and examples on line.

Examples (randomly picked):

https://www.delftstack.com/howto/powershell/powershell-copy-item-overwrite/

https://jdhitsolutions.com/blog/powershell/6962/creating-a-powershell-backup-system-part-4/

https://enarion.net/news/2020/powershell-script-create-folder-and-zip-backup/

The scripts can be as simple or as complex as required.

I prefer one line cmdlets because for the most part they can be simple and probably do all that is required. Especially for those not familiar with coding and/or PowerShell.

However, you can copy and edit the example scripts to meet your requirements - change paths and names as necessary. ($sourceDir and $targetDir as presented in the third link.)

As before, just create a Powershell test environment and go forward from there.

Amilia_Maa

Prominent
Jun 1, 2021
What I am looking for is a reliable free or pay copy and transfer program for Windows 10 and hopefully Windows 11 (I may be replacing my computer in the near future) that can monitor my primary music files and folders in their source location on my internal hard drive and when I update those files or folders or their sub-files or sub-folders from a CD rip, audio conversion, or creating or updating a playlist, they automatically copy and transfer at the same time to my assigned backup locations on both the internal and external hard drives and add the new or update the existing files, folders, sub-files, and sub-folders, and create and maintain the structure and layout of the files, folders, sub-files, and sub-folders, when copying and transferring from the source location to the multiple destination locations at once.

Thanks.
how ever I prefer using Robocopy or PowerShell (CLI-based) if you are familiar with any . but as a straightforward and easy way , check out Goodsync and Gs Richcopy 360 , all have the ability to meet the mentioned requirements , to copy changes only automatically without having to copy the whole folder again , also to copy files in-use and the in-use changes only to multiple destination locations at once. also the 2 are GUI-based