Need to access to wifi within 50m range, question is how?

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Greetings community,

I'm not good at this stuff, so i need your help here. I was planning to get my older computer to another house (in the neighbourhood of 6/7 houses most), and i want to access to wifi router from one of the neighbours that is for example in 30 meters range. How do i do that?

I have some old pci card for wifi, its msi pc54g2 (here are the specs: http://www.cnet.com/products/msi-pc54g2-network-adapter-series/specs/ )

Can that do the job? What antena would i need to get for 50m range?

Solution
Simply using a big wifi antenna gets you very little, the data has to go both directions.

You need an antenna at each end directed at the other, and those are called outdoor directional access points, the Ubiquiti are actually quite cheap at only $60 US each, as they will last for many years and come with all parts necessary except a mounting pole.

RealBeast

Titan
I assume that they are not directly next to you so that you could just lay an outdoor Ethernet cable.

You will not be able to access wireless for 50m through the walls of your respective homes no matter what router and card you use. It is possible that a media bridge with a pair of AC1900 routers would work. The way that outdoor wireless connections are generally made if there is line of sight is with a pair of inexpensive outdoor access points like Ubiquiti Air Grid Airmax M2 or M5, it costs a little over $100 for a pair.

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

Holy, that''s expensive, it's much cheaper buying cable internet from provider.

I thought there was a cheap option, because i saw people selling some really big wifi antenas (up to range of couple of km's for like 15e), i thought that something like that could work, but i am not really familiar with this stuff.

RealBeast

Titan
Simply using a big wifi antenna gets you very little, the data has to go both directions.

You need an antenna at each end directed at the other, and those are called outdoor directional access points, the Ubiquiti are actually quite cheap at only $60 US each, as they will last for many years and come with all parts necessary except a mounting pole.

Solution

obeliskk1

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

I understand you from that perspective, it's cheap in a long term, but for me cable internet with stable high speed is just 10e per month, and i don't even plan to use it whole year just couple of months in a year and rest relying on mobile data network (if that's what it's called, when you get mobile sim and use it in a usb to get network from mobile provider, and it's really good and cheap for something that i would use couple a times in a month)..

I thought there was a solution i could get away for max 40/50e, but i guess it's not realistic option for me now.