Question Need to add my wifes computer to my ethernet connection

Oct 30, 2022
My wife just moved her computer into my room near mine. She is NOW hooked up wirelessly by a NetGear USB stick that is a wireless-N- dual band st5ick. But NOW that she is in the same room as the Verizon router (that ONLY has ONE ethernet PORT I need to break and add her to ethernet connectivity THROUGH a splitter.This way we can both be hard-wired into the router. I am a novice at this so please be specific and clear- and read what I found on Amazon below-- I thought it was going to be simple-- I would also rather go to my local Best Buy and get these items-(and NOT too expensive)- if you look on Amazon at what I saw- they are or at least should be maybe under $10.00? and then for the ethernet cable, we are talking about maybe a $20.00 sale. Please advise.

I am looking at amazon online for ethernet splitters. Again too much information and decisions--- I am going to paste some of the descriptions- because as simple as it sounds -some say that some do not support BOTH computers connecting at the SAME time HUH?? read on please- and maybe you can recommend the simplest and least expansive one that will allow me and my wife to be on the web at the same time. Thanks

1)Can you connect the male to the internet modem and the other two females to two routers?
Answer: Can be connected, NOTE: This Ethernet splitter allows two computers to share one Ethernet line ONE AT A TIME, but it doesn't support both computers to connect onto the internet simultaneously
2)RJ45 Splitter Connectors Adapter 1 to 2 Ethernet Splitter Coupler Double Socket HUB Interface Contact Modular Plug Connect Network LAN Internet Cat5 Cat6 Cable 2 Pack (CAN'T RUN BOTH AT THE SAME TIME)?? ( see what I mean?)
3)GELRHONR RJ45 Splitter Adapter,RJ45 Ethernet Splitter 1 to 2 Network Adapter(2 Devices Surf Internet Simultaneously) Works for Cat5e/Cat6/Cat8 Connector LAN Internet-1Pair
RJ45 1 to 2 Extender:RJ45 Splitters is mainly used to solve the connection problem caused by insufficient wiring. Support 2 devices work at the same time, but the splitter should be used in pairs. If you use just only 1 splitter, only one port works and the other port DOES NOT work.??? (what does this mean)
4)SinLoon this a pair RJ45 Splitter Adapter mainly used to solve connection problems caused by insufficient wiring. through the physical separation method,one-divided-two for cable is achieved and two devices online can be realized simultaneously. this product differs from tee, which cannot realize simultaneously online for both devices.-- Hi Mr. C this seems to be the ONLY one that says BOTH will work simultaneously??

Please let me know what you know about this-- this should have been an easy piece to buy??

And lastly, if you would recommend the best type of about a 6 to 10-foot ethernet cable (I guess High-Speed heavy duty might be the best.I anxiously await your reply.

Oct 30, 2022
This is what I was hoping to BUY at Amazon or Best BUY to split my connection with my wifes computer and get RID of the NetGear Wireless-N-Dual Band stick??
(A-Pair) RJ45 Splitter Adapter,SinLoon Ethernet Cable Splitter Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, Cat7,RJ45 Network Extension Connector Ethernet Cable Sharing Kit for Router TV Box Camera PC Lapop (Black)-- for $8.98

Below are the pics of my router NOW on my computer and the pics of my wife's wireless stick. I am hoping to split the two with the basic splitter and ethernet cable-- can you please let me know what to purchase that can easily split our two connections. it should be easy?? and thank you, people. I really thought I would need ONE splitter as the AMAZON item shows and ONE MORE ethernet cable to go from the back of her computer INTO the splitter where MINE will now go and then back into the router--?
I am confuse as to why I need a COUPLE of Cat5 cables--- as state MINE is connected NOW with an ethernet cable- All I need I think is ONE ethernet cable to go into the back of HER system and the other end INTO the 2 port sided splitter and then MY computers ethernet cable into the other port on the splitter and then that one ended port into the back of the router- so why do I need multiple cables? I am really confused. Please advise

I am trying to insert pictures from my iphone- How do I do that here-- it keeps asking for an http??

Oct 30, 2022
I hope this helps??? Dont know what I am doing

Is the last splitter the exact ONE I need to just split one signal from ONE router into TWO computers? and will both receive a decent ethernet signal?? And why is this different from the other splitter I showed-- Does this new splitter get plugged into the ethernet port in the back of my or my wife's computer and then both ethernet cables go into this device?? I am running low on brain power here and getting very frustrated But I really appreciate this-- I just thought it would be SO simple?? I thought it would be like using a multi-strip like we plug into the wall for lights and devices and then the other end goes into the socket-- . Why is this so different?? View: https://imgur.com/a/55TPfk0

USAFRet

Titan
ActionTec MI424WR.
I used to have one of those.

It is a 'router'.

The device I linked WILL work to provide a wired signal to multiple systems.
In fact, I have that exact one.

The cable that currently comes from that Verizon router to your PC...you connect that to the ethernet switch.
Then from the switch, one cable each to each of the 2 PCs.

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: PEnns
Oct 30, 2022
I agree- so I may go with a 6 -10 foot cord and I really only need one more ethernet cable- since I have ONE now connected from the router to MY computer. So all I really need is ONE more to add to the other port and to my Wife's computer. Isn't that correct?

The last thing-As mentioned I have a Netgear Wireless-N- Dual Band USB stick attached to my wife's computer. Her speed is about 80 MB download and 889 or so Upload. On My computer- which is hard-wired to the internet my speed is about 84 Mbs download and 91.95 Upload. Do you think that changing this Netgear wireless n dual band stick to a hard-wired connection with this new ethernet switch etc- will make much of a difference? Please advise.

USAFRet

Titan
Currently, you have ONE cable from the router to your PC.

That cable will be for the router to the new switch.

Then, you need ONE EACH from the switch to the individual PC's.

So....3 cables total.
You have one, you need two more.

A wired connection is almost always better than any WiFi.
Try it and see.

Oct 30, 2022
last thing-- My present Netgear Wireless -N- dual band stick is now plugged INTO the ethernet port in the back of my wife's computer and then the stick goes into the USB end of the wire. If and when I unplug this from the ethernet port of my wife's computer and then plug in the NEW switch- will it work AUTOMATICALLY? Is it plug-and-play- or will it need something to find the IP address? I truly do not want to ruin what I have now as I showed you with her present connection thu the Netgear stick. All I want to do is plug the wires in where they have to go and be connected to the web at a better speed than I am now. Thats all.
And by splitting the signal will MY original connection be lowered? or hindered any? and lastly- this whole fiasco started because my wife's computer seemed very slow doing anything. I mean anything. Since I located the hidden icon for the NetGear stick and found out that I was NOT connected to the internet and NOW I reconnected to the web - The WHOLE computer seems FASTER. Is that possible? Because I was very close to buying another one because of the super slow lag? Thanks again

USAFRet

Titan
The switch is plug and play.
No configuring necessary.

There will be no 'slowdown' of your connection.
Yes, you are sharing a gigabit connection to the router. But that sharing is totally unnoticeable.
Her connection, going from WiFi to wired, may become faster.

Ralston18

Titan
Question:

In Posts #10 and #11, I do not see an incoming Ethernet Cable to the Router's WAN port.

I would expect (line diagram with -----> representing an Ethernet cable):

ISP === Verizon DSL(?) ===> Modem ----->[WAN Port] Verizon Router [LAN ports] -----> Wired PCs.

Where is the switch to be placed?

As I understand the plan:

ISP === Verizon DSL(?) ===> Modem ----->[WAN Port] Verizon Router [LAN port] ----->[LAN port] Switch [LAN Ports] ---- > Wired PCs.

Likely I am missing something but no harm in asking.