Need to buy a new laptop

mallomar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
I need to replace my beloved ASUS Vivobook, which has a broken hinge and is probably not worth trying to find someone to fix it. So I'm looking for suggestions.

1. What is your budget? Hoping to spend no more than $1,000.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? I don't know anything about it. I do want a nice sharp screen.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? I need a lightweight, slim, portable.

5. How much battery life do you need? Not sure. I mostly use the laptop at home, plugged in.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I don't do games.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photo editing (Photo Elements). Libre Office.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? At least 512 GB. Would like SSD.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. No specific sites.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Well, I'd like it to outlive my ASUS, when lasted 2 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Don't need one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I bought the ASUS because a relative told me they make good laptops, but I'm not sure if I'd buy another one because of the broken hinges that lots of people are complaining about. If ASUS makes laptops that are not prone to the hinge problem, I'd consider it. I loved how lightweight, slim, and fast the ASUS was.

13. What country do you live in? USA.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I'm not tech savvy. I don't know which brands are good quality these days. But I know I want a laptop with a fast processor. That's important. My ASUS has a i5 but I don't know the details.

TIA for any suggestions or recommendations. I've been without my laptop for about 5 weeks, waiting for it to be fixed by MicroCenter. I realize it's not going to happen.

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
I found this for you... I hope it meets your needs. It's the latest model Intel CPU 11th Gen. It should last you longer than your old laptop.

ASUS VivoBook 15 <<<Click Link

CPUIntel Core i7-1165G7 2.80 GHz
Screen15.6"
Memory16 GB DDR4
Storage1 TB SATA 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD + 256 GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD
Graphics CardNVIDIA GeForce MX350
Video Memory2 GB GDDR5
Dimensions (W x D x H)14.10" x 9.30" x 0.70"
Weight3.97 lbs. w/ battery
Other FeaturesBIOS Booting User Password Protection
Trusted Platform Module (Firmware TPM)
Fingerprint sensor
CPU
CPU TypeIntel Core i7 11th Gen
CPU Speed1165G7 (2.80 GHz)
Core NameTiger Lake
Turbo FrequencyUp to 4.70 GHz
Number of CoresQuad-core Processor
CPU L3 Cache12 MB
Display
Screen Size15.6"
TouchscreenNo
Wide Screen SupportYes
Display TypeFull HD
Resolution1920 x 1080
Color Gamut45% NTSC
LCD Features250 nits, Anti-glare display, 85% Screen-to-body ratio, IPS-level Panel

mallomar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Thanks for your response. But I'm old and confused -- the click took me to an HP laplop at Newegg.

I found this for you... I hope it meets your needs. It's the latest model Intel CPU 11th Gen. It should last you longer than your old laptop.

Do you have a link to the ASUS? Or if you have the model number, I can search for it.

And the $100,000 question is whether that ASUS has the same type of crappy hinge that broke on my older ASUS. After the hinge broke, I did a search and discovered that this is/was a frequent problem, and I found lots of complaints from irate ASUS owners. And since my hinge broke, I known it can happen even if the user treats her laptop gently. Anyway, as much as I really liked my ASUS, I would want to know if a new one had a more durable hinge.

ASUS VivoBook 15 <<<Click Link
CPUIntel Core i7-1165G7 2.80 GHz
Screen15.6"
Memory16 GB DDR4
Storage1 TB SATA 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD + 256 GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD
Graphics CardNVIDIA GeForce MX350
Video Memory2 GB GDDR5
Dimensions (W x D x H)14.10" x 9.30" x 0.70"
Weight3.97 lbs. w/ battery
Other FeaturesBIOS Booting User Password Protection
Trusted Platform Module (Firmware TPM)
Fingerprint sensor

D

Deleted member 14196

As you don't need the GPU, you could go with something like this. An 8 core/16 threaded CPU will prove quite beneficial, to your video editing especially.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/637399/lenovo-ideapad-5-156-laptop-computer-blue
like this

This baby is only $800 and can do low to medium graphics gaming if it had to
HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eh0097nr

• Windows 10 Home 64
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 processor
  • AMD Radeon™ Graphics
  • 16 GB memory; 512 GB SSD storage
  • 15.6" diagonal FHD display
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/h...-tile_laptops_26_2b4r7ua_hp-pavilion-laptop-1

I got my son the R5 3500U for university and medical research stuff and he LOVES it. they run cool, fan nearly never runs, are ultra thin AND light and touch screen if you wish. can't lose.

I installed AMDs latest graphics and chipset drivers because I wanted the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan for ultra quiet operation and longest battery life

mallomar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
As you don't need the GPU, you could go with something like this. An 8 core/16 threaded CPU will prove quite beneficial, to your video editing especially.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/637399/lenovo-ideapad-5-156-laptop-computer-blue

Thanks for your response. When you mention the GPU, is that something that's usually on higher-end laptops, for gaming and/or other graphics things? My video editing is mainly fixing up photos so they look better. It's not real demanding.

logainofhades

Titan
Yes, that is what the dedicated GPU is for. You will have AMD vega integrated graphics in that laptop which is plenty for your needs, and even can handle some light gaming, should you want to. In general, AMD's integrated graphics is superior to Intel's.