News Need To Find an AMD or Nvidia GPU In Stock? Raspberry Pi Can Help

SyDiko

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Why do these articles always say that 'demand' is so high? Like everyone and their mother was up waiting for these cards?

The demand isn't high, it's artificial. The percentage of stock that went to retail outlets was snatched and put on eBay at 100% market up. These bots literally bring websites down as they secure all the inventory they can in about 5 minutes. (Which is kind of suspect in itself, because they should have protection against this).

That said, the problem isn't bots, it's major retailers not putting up real-time protection against this crappy practice. Even presale tickets are being resold. How the heck are you going to resale a presale lol? Let that soak in - the one thing put in place to make sure everyone that wants an item, gets an item is also being resold at a marked up price lol.

I work as an Engineer for a tech company. I write code for a living and I refuse to run any type of bots. I could easily have done it, but I have self respect and ethics. Seriously, it's getting ridiculous and instead of creating an article for everyone to start botting, how about we pledge for some state and federal legislation against this crap? (Cause, it will only get worse from here if retailers aren't going to do anything.)

I think this piece of legislation needs a push through the house - https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/7160/text

Last edited:

SyDiko

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
This happens ALL of the time in the automotive industry where you just resell the allocation for a new car purchase.

I appreciate the insight as others may not understand the practice outside certain retail aspects, but the question itself is rhetorical. Not only that, but scalpers aren't going to be buying up all the preorders on that limited edition Ferrari. These are people working with a few hundred or thousand to flip small items like the PS5. Vehicles are a much different animal.

(I will take this opportunity to express my frustrations even more.)

I remember when the PS5 went on presale, bots grabbed them all and these people were literally taking photos of their screens and selling the pre order confirmations on eBay. The whole point of a presale is to ensure that everyone that wants said item is accounted for. That said, retailers shouldn't run out of preorders because they haven't any stock. (Yet somehow they did).

I personally never buy into hype of any type, but it was disgusting to see this practice hit the PS5, Xbox, and video cards. Even the new Ryzen CPUs were hit by this malicious act even after all of the original manufacturers said they'd have a defense against them. What's crazy is that if you take all the scalped stock off the secondary market - I bet everyone that wanted any of these items could get one, and they'd still have a lot to spare.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020
It most certainly isnt a breeze lol. I wish it were and that I knew how to code but I can't set it up for the life of me.

Nov 30, 2020
hmm you know what this shortage situation needs? MORE BOTS!
What else are honest people supposed to do? We can’t compete with bots that buy stuff within milliseconds of drops. I just want one for me. An alert bot is at least a sliver of a better chance at one 🤷‍♂️

Jan 2, 2021
Why do these articles always say that 'demand' is so high? Like everyone and their mother was up waiting for these cards?

The demand isn't high, it's artificial. The percentage of stock that went to retail outlets was snatched and put on eBay at 100% market up. These bots literally bring websites down as they secure all the inventory they can in about 5 minutes. (Which is kind of suspect in itself, because they should have protection against this).

That said, the problem isn't bots, it's major retailers not putting up real-time protection against this crappy practice. Even presale tickets are being resold. How the heck are you going to resale a presale lol? Let that soak in - the one thing put in place to make sure everyone that wants an item, gets an item is also being resold at a marked up price lol.

I work as an Engineer for a tech company. I write code for a living and I refuse to run any type of bots. I could easily have done it, but I have self respect and ethics. Seriously, it's getting ridiculous and instead of creating an article for everyone to start botting, how about we pledge for some state and federal legislation against this crap? (Cause, it will only get worse from here if retailers aren't going to do anything.)

I think this piece of legislation needs a push through the house - https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/7160/text

Uhhh. It's pretty <Mod Edit> accurate to say demand is higher than it's literally ever been before for ALL GPUs, and even more so for NVIDIAs. The truth is, they really aren't artificially subduing manufacturing. The problem is that they did not do a very impressive job at securing all the required materials for manufacturing, and then the Pandemic hit which has absolutely choked out every single manufacturing and assembly factory in the world. Especially incredibly complex and fragile computer components that require precious metals that you can only get from a handful of mining companies who, again literally, have a monopoly on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTXMonster

Commendable
Jan 23, 2021

Yea and that's the thing isn't it? Yes stock wasn't high but neither is anything really at launch I secured a Xbox Series X and a PS5 even against bots. Luckily I found someone selling his PC and at fair trade value at that. Back to my point Bestbuy reopened pre-orders for the consoles 2 hours after they opened. Why? Because they went through and cancelled bots, people who ordered multiple consoles ect. That's something but still doesn't stop the issue with bots why aren't these places protected in some way? I don't want to hear they are advanced that's a lazy reasoning. Someone mentioned legitimate stock shortages due to covid and factory's and acquiring precious metals blah blah. Nah I got a 2080 and later the TI no issues as has been the case for a long time even with mining and normal shortage reasons considered. The bots are making impossible for determined like myself to get them and that makes it a problem. So I agree 100% these sites better step up or people will get fed up with being FORCED to shop online and failing because some person made a program to screw everyone else.

Last edited: