[SOLVED] Need to fresh install Win10 but no idea where media is

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Hi

I bought a pre-built pc about 6 or 7 years ago and cannot for the life of me find any paperwork or media which came with. I now have a need to perform a complete fresh install of Windows but am a bit stuck how I will do this.
I have a USB drive and a will :) Can you advise? I assure you I have a legit version of windows and would like to remain as such.

Thanks

Solution
I found teh product key on a sticker on case :) So ive installed that thing on usb stick, now what . Do you I have to boot to bios and change boot order? do I need to disconnect other drives as I forgot to mention I was to install this time on to new nvme as opposed to sata ssd I used to have it on ? :)
Disconnect ALL other drives.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Ok thanks. I guess I maybe should have mentioned the reason Im doing this is that I have installed a new motherboard and cpu. Unsure if that makes any difference but I did read somewhere that you can retrieve your windows key from your mobo firmware, but I guess that wont be an option for me?

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
I found teh product key on a sticker on case :) So ive installed that thing on usb stick, now what . Do you I have to boot to bios and change boot order? do I need to disconnect other drives as I forgot to mention I was to install this time on to new nvme as opposed to sata ssd I used to have it on ? :)

USAFRet

Titan
Disconnect ALL other drives.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Ok I have the bootable USB ready to go but I have 2 questions still:
1. If I go to bios and move usb to front of boot priority queue how do I save this change but not make pc continue booting as I haven't disconnected other drives ? (Or can I disconnect them and then go into bios?)

2. I don't see my nvme drive in boot priority to select and surely I will need to eventually set that as top priority once os is on it ?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Ok I have the bootable USB ready to go but I have 2 questions still:
1. If I go to bios and move usb to front of boot priority queue how do I save this change but not make pc continue booting as I haven't disconnected other drives ? (Or can I disconnect them and then go into bios?)

2. I don't see my nvme drive in boot priority to select and surely I will need to eventually set that as top priority once os is on it ?

Thanks
No need for all the duplicate questions.

1. You don't even have to move the USB to first. The system will try everything until it finds something to boot from. Again...all other drives are disconnected before you continue.
  2. You won't see it in there until there is an OS on it.

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
sorry seems I have somehow ended up asking you the wrong questions :)

My ask is:

Thanks I've done all that now and have windows on my new nvme. I still have 2 open questions:
  1. Do now reconnect the 2 old drives I disconnected at start of this process and if so what do I do with the one which also has an os on it ?
  2. How do I set the nvme to be top of boot priority as last time I looked in bios it didn't even show as an option in priority list? (I think you've answered this above ie it should show now as has os on it?)