Need to increase WiFi speeds, not sure what modem/router to get.

cjv001

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Hey there, first of all thanks for reading!

Here's the problem: I'm getting about 6 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload. I'm paying for 100 Mbps download though (I think 10 upload.)

I'm looking to buy a new modem and router because a tech suggested that it is going bad - right now I have a modem/router combo.

So my first question is: which is typically better a modem/router combo, or having both a modem and router? Specifically, for increasing my WiFi speeds.

My second question is - is it possible to move the location of my modem and router? I was told when I moved into my rental it had to be at it's current location, but it's far away from all of our devices which could be contributing to the poor speeds. I have no idea what I need to know or look for to confirm if and where it can be moved to.

Last Question what would be the best modem/router to get? I have a budget of about $150.

More info in case you need it: we have about 8 devices on our WiFi (2 pc, 3 mobile, 3 gaming consoles) and 2 devices wired in (1 pc, 1 gaming console)

Thanks for reading!

Solution
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-max-stream-ac1750-wi-fi-router-black/5604102.p?skuId=5604102
I have the same package on Spectrum and I use this Wireless Router and I purchased my own modem.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On the 2.4GHz band wifi on this phone sitting out in the garage, 30' away from the router that's in a closet under the stairs I'm getting 20Mbps down, 13Mbps up, IPv4. On the 5GHz band, 30 seconds earlier, 119Mbps down, 13Mbps up, IPv6.

So uploads are due to it being a phone and kinda miserable. Also everything except this phone and the TV is on the 2.4GHz band. There's going to be several factors in your speeds, like Apple products tend to be bandwidth hogs, just what else is running, the neiborhood usage, just how far from a node you are, age of the equipment even stuff like rf interference or cable amplifiers that arent grounded correctly.

So your problems may or may not stem from your equipment, I'd have your isp/cable provider also check the line to make sure you are actually receiving what you are paying for.

cjv001

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out. Regarding the modem - does that matter as much as the router, or as long as my ISP accepts it the details don't matter as much?

Mar 20, 2018

With all due respect Karadjgne ur profile pic gives me nightmares XD