Question Need to install a low profile GPU compatible with the 0DR845 MOBO

Aug 13, 2024
Hi,

Lately my son has been experiencing video card issues with the Intel Q35 express chipset on his rather old Dell Optiplex 755 DT, and he wanted me to get him a new graphics card to get past this problem.

His PC details are as follows:

MOBO: 0DR845 with Chipset Q45 and Socket LGA 775
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ 2 Duo E6850 Processor @ 3.00GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR2 667 MHz
PSU: H280P-01

I need some expert help in finding the right GPU for this computer.

rgds,
George.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What GPU is your son on at this moment? What is the age of the PSU in your prebuilt? What is your budget for the GPU purchase, where are you located? Your options on a GPU upgrade would be severely limited due to the platform, not the PSU.

Aug 13, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What GPU is your son on at this moment? What is the age of the PSU in your prebuilt? What is your budget for the GPU purchase, where are you located? Your options on a GPU upgrade would be severely limited due to the platform, not the PSU.
Hi. The current GPU is Intel Q35 Express Chipset.
The PSU is about 17 odd years old. Are GPU's past end-of-life likely to cost too much? I was hoping for a cheap upgrade.

Aug 13, 2024
from manuals i see one pcie 1.0A x16 with max 25watt power
that limits you a bit
so something like GT 720 or HD 5450 should run there
they did make those single slot and also with low profile versions, but they are old and not made anymore, so second hand only like ebay
Great that you mentioned the details of the PCIE slot. I will look up those cards on ebay. Thanks.

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
Hello.
I own a system like your system.
First thing i done it was to change the CPU - i put a Q9550.
The second thing it was to add a PCI SFF card.
I looked on Ebay and i found from a US seller a HD 3450 PCI SFF with 512 MB ram.
It is a good system for office after that upgrade.
I added some RAM and now with 2x4Gb SODIMM ram works flawless for a office computer.
It has Win 10 x64 installed.