[SOLVED] need to replace AMD Athlon 200ge

Nov 30, 2021
I was going to download the new W11 but it said I can't because my CPU doesn't work with W11. So looking to replace this Athlon 200ge with a newer cpu that W11 likes. I am using a ASROCK B450 steel legend MOBO. w/16gb ram . Anyone with some suggestions that will help without breaking the bank and my wife cutting my throat while I sleep?

Solution
You are going to need to do a bios update. Pricing wise, for a compatible chip is the 5600g.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($257.30 @ Amazon)
Total: $257.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-30 12:10 EST-0500

Personally I would ride out Win 10, if you are happy with the current performance. By the time support runs out, you will need a new PC anyway.

logainofhades

Titan
You are going to need to do a bios update. Pricing wise, for a compatible chip is the 5600g.

PCPartPicker Part List

Personally I would ride out Win 10, if you are happy with the current performance. By the time support runs out, you will need a new PC anyway.

Solution
Nov 30, 2021

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks for the thoughts
I have been thinking that I just might do that same idea. I built this current desktop about 2 years ago and went as cheap as possible to make the better half happy, dumb a_ _ ideas always come back to bite me. Oh well it is what it is. I do however like the idea of that 6 core processor, I do allot of work with "GIMP" and "DARKTABLE" andthis processor that I currently have is soooooo slow. Maybe time to upgrade anyway to speed up my work flow?

Nov 30, 2021
I like the 5600G option, it's a vast improvement over what you are currently using and seems like you need the iGPU.
Thanks, I do need a GPU that runs those photo processing software programs faster for sure. There are times I can make changes to a RAW photo and actually get away from the computer and go the the restroom before it will process the changes.

Doesn't surprise me :) The faster cores and many more of them will be a real help to you. You've got a decent motherboard already so it makes sense to re-use that. The only other budget option I could think of was the 3400G but they are either unobtanium or similar in price to the 5600G and the latter is much better. You don't have a Micro Center near you by any chance? Seems they are on sale for $219:

https://www.microcenter.com/product..._-_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler_Included?storeID=145

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Something to consider in this issue would be going with a regular (non G) 3xxx or 5xxx and picking up something like a 750ti, maybe a 1050ti off the used market. The 750 level of discrete GPU is around the same level as the 5000 G integrated, and the 1050ti would be better.
Given the inflation on the G series CPU you might be able to find a cheaper alternative that way.

Nov 30, 2021
Something to consider in this issue would be going with a regular (non G) 3xxx or 5xxx and picking up something like a 750ti, maybe a 1050ti off the used market. The 750 level of discrete GPU is around the same level as the 5000 G integrated, and the 1050ti would be better.
Given the inflation on the G series CPU you might be able to find a cheaper alternative that way.
definitely something to consider. This CPU has the worst graphics known to mankind. I won't even go there with the bench mark score from it. Crying shame!

logainofhades

Titan

For the price, unless go used on the CPU, the 5600g is a cheaper option, for a Win 11 compatible CPU.

Reactions: punkncat
Nov 30, 2021
They seem quite tricky to get hold of, that's a bit of a shame. Best Buy had it for a good price but they are gone as well. There's the 5700G for $310 but that's not so budget friendly:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amd-ry...ked-desktop-processor/6474406.p?skuId=6474406
seems that the only ones that have them available is Amazon or B&H. Sure there's other's but the price is going up as we write about it so it seems. I'm surprised that so many want the 5700.

Nov 30, 2021
I think Nighthawk has the right idea, surely there will be more 5700's coming over the border soon. I'm going to take the old wait and see approach as getting win11 onto my computer isn't a make or break project! Then also maybe never get it installed as well!