[SOLVED] Need to replace my old Geforce GTX 660 GPU

BR2000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I need to replace my (MSI Geforce GTX 660 Twin Frozr III) that's in a build from back in 2013. I have always used a CRT monitor so that I would have correct movement and no motion blur when editing videos. However, I finally broke down and got a new monitor (Asus ProArt PA279CV 4K) and am now having issues with screen tearing and motion blur (knew this would happen).

Budget - under $400
Usage - Video editing using TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 7, playing 4K and some 8K videos (very large file sizes), connecting PC to 4K TV to watch 4K content. Not into gaming, care more about fine detail, picture quality and smooth movement. Unfortunately, it looks like studio cards are not within my budget so I'll have go with a gaming card.
Card Type - Nvidia cards only, 4K resolution, and at least 4GB memory, compatible with Win 7 64bit.
Interface - 1 HDMI 2.0b, 1 Display Port, and 1 DVI in case I need to hook up old CRT.
Length - 9.25 inches (235 mm) or less.

Current Build Info:
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Rev 3.0
Processor FX 8350 AMD 8 - Core
Power Supply Seasonic M12 II Bronze 650 W
SSD Samsung SSD 860 Pro 512GB
HDD Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB
HDD HGST HUS724020ALA640 2TB
Memory Mushkin Silverline 8GB x 4 32GB
Graphics Card MSI Twin Frozr Geforce GTX 660

Current card specs can be found here: https://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-MSI/GeForce_GTX_660_Twin_Frozr_III_-_N660_TF_2GD5.html

I was looking at this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1517468-REG/asus_dual_gtx1660s_o6g_evo_dual_geforce_gtx_1660.html ,but the PCI power connector is an 8 pin, I need a 6 pin. It's also not in stock so it's probably discontinued. This is why I'm asking for help, it may be hard to find one being that my mother board is from 2013.
Another problem will be for timeline editing using TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 7 (At least a GeForce GTX 1650 with CUDA support) is required.

Okay, just found this one: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1650-gtx-1650-d6-ventus-xs-ocv1/p/N82E16814137593?Item=9SIAPMXE2B0642, this one uses the 6 pin PCI power connector that I need, but it has GDDR6 memory instead of GDDR5, don't know if that makes any difference. Also noticed that the Cuda Cores and Memory Interface is a lower spec than my current card. Again, I don't know how much of a difference this makes.

Any help would be appreciated........thanks.

Solution
Pcie isn't 8pin. It's 6+2pin. Only the very top end, highest wattage psus use 8pin solid pcie, and those are few and far between. It's done that way to give you options because gpus are different, you can use the pcie as 6, 8, 2x6, 6+8 or 8+8 depending on the psu, wattage etc.

Eps will be 4+4, some high end models will use an 8 with a 4+4, but there's always a 4+4 at least.

They will be labeled. Pcie or gpu, EPS or cpu. Totally different pinouts.

As for the tearing, enable adaptive vsync. In global settings in nvidia control, change pre-rendered 3d frames from default 3, to 1. Tearing happens when the gpu is powerful enough to empty its buffer before the cpu can fill it, so the next frame isn't gone before its refreshed. Try capping...
D

Deleted member 362816

You need to upgrade the whole system. An 8350 even overclocked to oblivion will still bottleneck even a 1660. I would advise you to get a new motherboard/CPU/Ram before buying a overpriced card.

ARICH5

Distinguished
i concur with capt d.
the advancements in software is overstretching your aged computer.

you say you cant afford the studio gpu solutions though. i doubt you could come up with the 3-4 thousand dollars youd need to update your whole platform.
id look at a xeon base with a quadro gpu., 64gb ecc ram and nvme storage.

a gpu change wont magically fix your issue.

BR2000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I would advise you to get a new motherboard/CPU/Ram before buying a overpriced card.
Sounds great, are you buying.? I like how everyone says to just go buy a new PC. Never mind a card being overpriced, everything is overpriced right now because of our pretend president. Now would be the worst time to buy a new PC build. Yes, I know I need to have a new PC built and I've been saving up for one, but don't have enough yet. Everything is working for the most part, except for the screen tearing on the new monitor and the timeline editing running slow sometimes and hanging up for a minute here and there. The software editing support techs told me that even just upgrading to a 4GB memory card would make a difference. I'm basically just trying to squeak by until I have enough $ and the whole chip shortage and everything else blows over.
I was asking what would work with my current hardware, ports, interface versions, etc. I'm just looking for something a little better than current card , not a magical fix all.

BR2000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
i doubt you could come up with the 3-4 thousand dollars youd need to update your whole platform.
3-4 thousand, really. I know I could have a build done for under 2 that would more than take care of the screen tearing and timeline editing slowness and hangs. That would include a water cooled system and good a nvme SSD, don't know that I would use nvme for storage, I'll probably stick with the more dependable HDD. It won't be a top of the line build, but it will take care of my needs.

BR2000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Why, you lost some modulair cables from your Seasonic?
The whole system is to old and to slow for 4K/8K editting.
The 6 pin is whats already hard wired coming from the power supply so it would just makes things easier to go with another 6 pin card. I'm not editing 8K , only 4K. I just started watching some 8K content and everything is fine as long as I don't try to skip forward, then I end up waiting a couple seconds for it to catch up. I'm not looking for a miracle card, just something slightly better (4GB) than what I have (2GB).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pcie isn't 8pin. It's 6+2pin. Only the very top end, highest wattage psus use 8pin solid pcie, and those are few and far between. It's done that way to give you options because gpus are different, you can use the pcie as 6, 8, 2x6, 6+8 or 8+8 depending on the psu, wattage etc.

Eps will be 4+4, some high end models will use an 8 with a 4+4, but there's always a 4+4 at least.

They will be labeled. Pcie or gpu, EPS or cpu. Totally different pinouts.

As for the tearing, enable adaptive vsync. In global settings in nvidia control, change pre-rendered 3d frames from default 3, to 1. Tearing happens when the gpu is powerful enough to empty its buffer before the cpu can fill it, so the next frame isn't gone before its refreshed. Try capping fps outputs, set uber quality for graphics details but lower some of the cpu bound after affects.

Last edited:
Solution

BR2000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Okay, I see what your talking about now. There is an extra set of just 2 pins hanging off to the side of the 6 pin cluster. Thanks for pointing that out.

As for the tearing, enable adaptive vsync. In global settings in nvidia control, change pre-rendered 3d frames from default 3, to 1. Tearing happens when the gpu is powerful enough to empty its buffer before the cpu can fill it, so the next frame isn't gone before its refreshed. Try capping fps outputs, set uber quality for graphics details but lower some of the cpu bound after affects.
I've already tried all the vertical sync settings in the nvidia control panel. I'm going to try the other settings you just mentioned. The tearing only happens if the main subject in the video moves fast. For example, if someone was to shake their head back and forth really fast, or if someone is running. It's not all over the screen just the part that has the fastest movement. Also, if someone is just standing in the middle of the screen and started to rock back and forth from side to side they get blurry, and then they become clear again as soon as they stop moving.

BR2000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
i wonder if you are confusing screen tear for "banding". when i went from crt to lcd i saw horrible screen banding especially in black tones. now im used to it.
As far as I know it's tearing. It only happens if the main subject in the video moves fast. (invisible horizontal lines) For example, if someone was to shake their head back and forth really fast, or if someone is running. It's not all over the screen just the part that has the fastest movement. Also, if someone is just standing in the middle of the screen and started to rock back and forth from side to side they get blurry, and then they become clear again as soon as they stop moving.