CPU: Intel(R) Core i7-14700KF
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4070 Ti Super
mobo: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Pro X Wifi7
4x16 GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 6000 KF560C40BBAK-64
PSU: Corsair RM850e
CPU cooler: Cooler Master i70C
NVMe SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 2TB
Nothing is OC'ed / running mostly default BIOS settings

Initially, everything about this system worked fine. About 1 month in, multiple games started crashing, typically before they even finish launching on startup without any actual error message. Sometimes the entire system restarts, other times the game exe just closes unexpectedly without an error. The only time I've seen anything weird happen is when initially launching or using graphically intensive programs. I've also tried running 3dmark benchmarks and get the same behavior- it actually errors out midway through benchmarks without a specific error message. I tried watching some graphs of hardware performance during the 3dmark benchmarks and nothing looks alarming / CPU running reasonably cool. I've tried reinstalling windows 11 which didn't work. Drivers are all up to date. I also tried reseating + repasting the cpu/heatsink which didn't work. I RMA'ed the video card + bought another video card and when either of those are installed I see the same problem. I also tried changing the BIOS settings for the RAM to XMP 3, which is effectively underclocked (RAM rated at 6000 / running at 4800). I'm starting to suspect a problem with potentially either the mobo or power supply or maybe cpu.

Looking for recommendations on what to do to further troubleshoot this problem.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
1| BIOS version for your motherboard?
2| Did you check and recheck all connections to your components from the PSU are all fully seated?
3| CPU cooler: Cooler Master i70C
You got the wrong cooler for the job, at the very least you'd need a 240mm AIO for that processor.

5| What is the make and model of your case?

Your issue is 4| that I've pointed/listed out above.

Srednal

Honorable
Apr 27, 2019
3| CPU cooler: Cooler Master i70C
You got the wrong cooler for the job, at the very least you'd need a 240mm AIO for that processor.
@Lutfij Now that I look at that again and looked at the temp closer I'd agree there's a strong chance it's simply a CPU heat issue. It's peaking around 90C during the benchmark.

I don't think an AIO is required for any system that isn't being overclocked/ maybe just a bigger/better air cooler. Maybe something like this? Cooler Master Hyper-622-halo-black agree/disagree? I've always hated the idea of liquid cooling in my systems so have always avoided it by just buying high end systems and not overclocking anything. Admittedly I did spend more on a larger air cooler on my previous system which never had issues.