Need urgent help ! Multiple display/graphics card issues: monitor detection is bust, graphics card won't output at all.

firefalcon124

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Hello there.

I am having a huge problem with my desktop graphics card and monitor. First a bit of context as to how the problem started out:

I was playing Skyrim, with the latest "Windows 10" Nvidia GeForce drivers (353.62) for my GTX 770 graphics card. My display setup is a DVI to VGA adapter, which is then hooked up to my monitor, which is VGA and HDMI capable.

So what happened was that after about 10 minutes of playing the monitor went black, telling me there was no signal. I shut the PC down using the power button, which seemed to have happened normally at a similar amount of time compared to other shutdowns. I then turned the PC back on, but the screen still told me there was no signal, AFTER the Windows boot logo showed.

What I then did was I turned the PC back on and booted Windows safe mode (my OS is Windows 7), to revert to the pre-29th July graphics drivers. That did not work, as I was still getting no signal. I then went back to the latest drivers, through safe mode again, and asked my neighbour for an HDMI cable, and tried booting up normally with that.

Booting up with the HDMI cable worked initially, however, after 5 minutes, the monitor went black and told me there was no signal again.

I've tried reverting to multiple drivers, using the HDMI and VGA setup, in safe mode with no success. The monitor won't detect any signal after the Windows boot logo.

A couple more things are happening, which are likely linked to this issue:

1. When cycling through the display settings at startup, after the boot logo, the monitor doesn't seem to try to detect the HDMI connection, regardless of whether I'm on the DVI-VGA or HDMI setup, and then displays "no signal". When the monitor tries to connect to the VGA setup, it says there is no signal right away.

2. On several occasions, when booting out of safe mode into normal mode and after getting through the boot logo, the graphics card's fans would whir up to 100% speed, while NOTHING would happen on the monitor. Stopping the PC was the only way to get the fans to stop going.

----------------------------------------------

I am starting to panic (wasn't a cheap card) and I need some help on this. Is there any reason to believe the graphics card might have "died" ? Or could it be something to do with physical hardware or the drivers ?

Cheers,
Owen.

PS: In EVERY case I get a Windows 7 boot logo and the option to enter the BIOS. Also, I recently changed hard drive, but everything had been working flawlessly up untill now.

Hope you can help.

firefalcon124

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Onboard graphics work just fine. Everything boots up, without issue (only I can't use the graphics card).

firefalcon124

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Did this. It is now consistently ramping up the fans as described in 2. in the original post. So not fixed, but can still get into BIOS and Windows boot logo shows up as before.

EDIT: Fan speed increase is NOT consistent, just random like before. If there's no fan speed increase, the same issues as before occur. So indeed, not fixed.