[SOLVED] Need wifi 6 router recommendation

Oct 27, 2021
I am in need of wifi 6 recommendation. I live in 2700 sqft house but i do have AP access point so having to cover house completely is not necessary requirement but it would be nice. I am using a lot of iot devices etc. Can someone recommend something that is reliable?

1)It must be mountable
2) Have open vpn capability

Solution
Did you look for software patch. That is a pretty simple error. Maybe turn off the DHCP and use a $10 raspberry pi to do the DHCP. You could also buy a cheaper router turn off the wifi radios and use your current router as a AP to provide the wifi6 support

The problem with wifi6 is the weather radar avoidance. You will find many cheaper wifi6 routers that only support 80mhz radio bands because of this. Many end device also only support 80mhz. When you drop it to 80mhz this is the same as 802.11ac and the use of 160mhz is the major reason wifi6 is so much faster. So wifi6 is kinda useless, you either have devices that do not attempt to use the full potential or they have to deal with weather radar as well as stomping on...

kanewolf

Titan
I am in need of wifi 6 recommendation. I live in 2700 sqft house but i do have AP access point so having to cover house completely is not necessary requirement but it would be nice. I am using a lot of iot devices etc. Can someone recommend something that is reliable?

1)It must be mountable
2) Have open vpn capability
Do you HAVE to buy now? If not wait for WIFI6E.

Did you look for software patch. That is a pretty simple error. Maybe turn off the DHCP and use a $10 raspberry pi to do the DHCP. You could also buy a cheaper router turn off the wifi radios and use your current router as a AP to provide the wifi6 support

The problem with wifi6 is the weather radar avoidance. You will find many cheaper wifi6 routers that only support 80mhz radio bands because of this. Many end device also only support 80mhz. When you drop it to 80mhz this is the same as 802.11ac and the use of 160mhz is the major reason wifi6 is so much faster. So wifi6 is kinda useless, you either have devices that do not attempt to use the full potential or they have to deal with weather radar as well as stomping on all the other people who attempt wifi6 since there is now even more overlap. Wifi6e solves all this with the 6ghz radio band.

The router you have is a 160mhz version so you want something similar. The VPN makes this kinda hard. VPN will cap your data rates to maybe 30-50mbps even on very fast routers. There are a tiny number of routers that use a cpu that has encryption acceleration. The cpu is bcm49408 but I you would have to check if the router actually has software support. I know the asus rt-ax88u does especially with the merlin firmware. It is very expensive because it also has very high end wifi6 radio chips.

We will see how much wifi6e helps but we will not know for sure until your more average consumer starts using it. In theory it should help a real lot. There is massive amounts of new bandwidth so many people can use 160mhz radio channels without over lapping.

Solution
Oct 27, 2021

The problem with wifi6 is the weather radar avoidance. You will find many cheaper wifi6 routers that only support 80mhz radio bands because of this. Many end device also only support 80mhz. When you drop it to 80mhz this is the same as 802.11ac and the use of 160mhz is the major reason wifi6 is so much faster. So wifi6 is kinda useless, you either have devices that do not attempt to use the full potential or they have to deal with weather radar as well as stomping on all the other people who attempt wifi6 since there is now even more overlap. Wifi6e solves all this with the 6ghz radio band.

The router you have is a 160mhz version so you want something similar. The VPN makes this kinda hard. VPN will cap your data rates to maybe 30-50mbps even on very fast routers. There are a tiny number of routers that use a cpu that has encryption acceleration. The cpu is bcm49408 but I you would have to check if the router actually has software support. I know the asus rt-ax88u does especially with the merlin firmware. It is very expensive because it also has very high end wifi6 radio chips.

We will see how much wifi6e helps but we will not know for sure until your more average consumer starts using it. In theory it should help a real lot. There is massive amounts of new bandwidth so many people can use 160mhz radio channels without over lapping.
There is no software patch, running latest firmware. Turning off dhcp is interesting idea and honestly didn't think of doing that. I tried setting up static ip and for some devices it just ignored it even after restarting the router.

TRENDING THREADS