[SOLVED] Need wifi help/suggestions

May 1, 2020
So here is my issue: I currently live in my RV on a temporary assignment 850 miles from home, anyway, the park i am in provides a wifi that is a 2.4 GHZ, with a strong signal, but it is very slow; speed test on my desktop shows it is about 4 - 5 MbPS. It is horrible for my firestick tv. Now there is a 5 GHZ xifinity wifi, that is much faster; speed test shows it at about 90 MbPS. My alienware Aurora desktop will connect to it just fine but the signal is not strong enough for my firestick. I currently have a 25' antenna mast with a coax celluar booster on it. I want to get an antenna to mount to the mast, run the cable into the RV and hook it to a router/repeater so that both our desktops, and firesticks can connect to it. Preferably i would like a setup that would booster both 2.4 and 5 GHZ, but for certain want to do that with the 5 GHZ system. There are many systems specifically for RV's that will do this, but they are all for 2.4 GHZ signals. I am not a techie so putting one together from scratch has so far proved daunting and every sales place i talk to wants me to buy their equipment for around $1000 (a 2.4 camp pro is $150). The big issue from as far i can figure is that the cable needs to be about 65 feet total length. Can somebody give me suggestions on what i need? I will be at this location for another 3 1/2 years and cannot deal with the parks slow internet any longer. The wifi route is the only choice, private cable is not available in the campground and the only satelite service here is outrageously priced. Thank you.

Solution
Look at ubiquiti products.

What you want is called a outdoor bridge. You would then connect that to any AP or router inside your RV. It uses ethernet cable so it can go 100 meters.

Unfortunately I don't think they sell units that run on both 2.4 and 5g so you would need 2 units one for each.

Since it appears you have fairly strong signals you do not need anything real fancy. Their nanostation loco device should work well for you. They have m2 and m5 models depending on the frequency. It will be a little more tricky to hook up 2 different internet connections but you can run both or you could just swap the cable when you wanted to change.

Good news is these units are only about $50 each. You would still need some...

What you want is called a outdoor bridge. You would then connect that to any AP or router inside your RV. It uses ethernet cable so it can go 100 meters.

Unfortunately I don't think they sell units that run on both 2.4 and 5g so you would need 2 units one for each.

Since it appears you have fairly strong signals you do not need anything real fancy. Their nanostation loco device should work well for you. They have m2 and m5 models depending on the frequency. It will be a little more tricky to hook up 2 different internet connections but you can run both or you could just swap the cable when you wanted to change.

Good news is these units are only about $50 each. You would still need some form or router or AP inside but you do not need anything fancy.

Solution
May 1, 2020

Good news is these units are only about $50 each. You would still need some form or router or AP inside but you do not need anything fancy.

May 1, 2020
So just to make sure i have it straight. I will buy a 5.0 Mghz outdoor bridge and attach it to my mast. Hook up the ethernet cable and route it into my rv and connect it to just a standard router (i usually use netgear). Install the router software onto my desktop and then access the router to connect it to the xfinitywifi signal. then connect my devices to signal provided by my router. I don't want to buy a bunch of equipment that is not going to work, because doing returns where i am is a difficult process.

It is that simple. Not sure what software you talk about loading into your PC. Most routers you just configure with a web browser.

The xfinitry stuff is not actually configured on the router. You would configure the bridge unit to connect to the xfinitrywifi ssid. You then use the web browser on your pc to put in your userid and password. Since all the devices you hook to the router share the same WAN port they all appears as a single device and you should only have to login 1 time.

May 1, 2020
It is that simple. Not sure what software you talk about loading into your PC. Most routers you just configure with a web browser.

The xfinitry stuff is not actually configured on the router. You would configure the bridge unit to connect to the xfinitrywifi ssid. You then use the web browser on your pc to put in your userid and password. Since all the devices you hook to the router share the same WAN port they all appears as a single device and you should only have to login 1 time.

Ok awesome. yeah i wasn't really refering to actual softare on the router, on my Netgear at home it uses a website for m specific router, sorry about the confusion. Wouldn't have to sign into the xfinitywifi, it is an open public wifi signal. Thanks for the info, my wife will be super happy (the only tv we have is internet tv since there is no cable at this park). Thanks a bunch, time to order.