Question Need Wifi Upgrade Recommendations

surf472

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
I have a 1000 mbps plan and my wifi is consistently under 50 mbps. I've done all the CMD tricks but haven't seen anything past 50, most of the time it's much much lower than that. Drops in and out all the time, absolutely annoyed with it. I got a Intel wifi 6 AX200 160 MHz wireless adapter, capable of 1gbps+ speeds. The router is in my brother room about 50 feet away and through some wood and drywall, but it's not a large house. We also have a wireless extender between us. No fancy routers or anything so far just stuff At&t gave us when we "upgraded". My brother is wired in the router and he's getting well over 500 mbps, I would wire in but i'm not about running a cable across the house. What I'm looking for is something that'll give me stable speeds and will let me use more of the available connection, without doing anything too crazy. I was thinking about buying a booster and seeing if that'll make things an improvement, but wanted to hear some other thoughts aswell. Thanks.

Your problem is likely the extender/repeater. These greatly reduce the speed of the connection.

What happens if you turn off the repeater and connect directly to the router. In many cases a weak signal from the main router will still be faster than a strong signal from repeater because of all the overhead the repeater places on the connection.

There is no such thing as a "booster". It would just be another repeater of some kind. Putting that in your room is silly because it would receive the same crap signal as you currently get.

It could also be some issue with wifi6. Check that you have the latest drivers. Many of those cards are still having issues.

Your best solution other than running a ethernet cable is going to be to use MoCA if you have tv coax both by the router and in your room. The latest moca technology can actually run 1gbit. You could also consider something like av-2000 powerline units but I doubt you would get more than 300mbps.

...........also no wifi runs at gbit speeds. Even if you have a wifi6 router and were in the same room you only get about 600mbps.

surf472

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
Your problem is likely the extender/repeater. These greatly reduce the speed of the connection.

What happens if you turn off the repeater and connect directly to the router. In many cases a weak signal from the main router will still be faster than a strong signal from repeater because of all the overhead the repeater places on the connection.

There is no such thing as a "booster". It would just be another repeater of some kind. Putting that in your room is silly because it would receive the same crap signal as you currently get.

It could also be some issue with wifi6. Check that you have the latest drivers. Many of those cards are still having issues.

Your best solution other than running a ethernet cable is going to be to use MoCA if you have tv coax both by the router and in your room. The latest moca technology can actually run 1gbit. You could also consider something like av-2000 powerline units but I doubt you would get more than 300mbps.

...........also no wifi runs at gbit speeds. Even if you have a wifi6 router and were in the same room you only get about 600mbps.
I agree the problem is likely the repeater, even had the At&t guy try to sell us another one when the first one should cover twice the area it is. If I disable the repeater, there isn't any signal at all that reaches to my room. I know it's not a "booster" though that's what they're marketed as, but as I understand another decent one should be able to carry the signal to my computer faster than it is now. Definitely have the latest drivers, other people that use the same adapter seem to be loving it with Windows 10 aswell. I've never heard of MoCA but I will look into it compared to other options. Also i've seen wifi6 reach well over 600mbps, even on cellphones. Particularly in this video here, so i'm not so sure I believe that last part. This guy gets over 700 mbps on Windows 10. Again I'm not looking to get record breaking speeds, moreso just help the stability and not be so bottlecapped.

surf472

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
Right now i'm leaning towards just getting a second router in my room, seeing as long as it's wireless it should be rather painless setup. Not to mention if it's in my room i'll be ethernet connected and won't have wifi troubles again. Are there any better options than this? MoCA wouldn't work. I'd have an easier time stapling the cables across the ceiling from the brothers room to mine.

What would putting a router in your room accomplish. Sure you could connect your PC to it but it still has no internet so what good does that do.

A router needs a cable connected to. It does not connect to another wifi source, that is what a repeater does.

If you get no signal from the main router in your room current how do you think you are going to find a magic box that can connect to this non existent signal.

If you do not have coax tv cable already installed in the rooms then pretty much your only option is to use powerline network. They will still be much faster than the current solution you have with the repeater. Make sure you use the newer av2-1000 or av2-2000 units.

Way to many idiots waving their dicks on youtube. All kinds of people with no professional tanning or work experience claim all kinds of stuff. Maybe you should post your wifi6 results.....where you get zero mbps. It would be just as valid, the house you test in make a huge difference and a scientific test would take all that into account.

surf472

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
DO NOT insult people trying to help you.
Well I was assuming a wireless router would be able to connect to the other one thus internet, though who knows i'm just the clueless guy here. <MOD EDIT PERSONAL ATTACKS REMOVED> I don't think i'm in the wrong by simply asking how to get closer to the numbers they're getting using Wifi 6, <MOD EDIT PERSONAL ATTACKS REMOVED>

Last edited by a moderator:

surf472

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
Again i'm simply asking how to use more of my available network and increase stability using Wifi. Do I need a router upgrade? If I replaced the at&t one with a nice gaming one that'd probably do the trick.

You never really know who is on these forums do you....go look up what CCIE means. Youtube is full of misinformation.

You need to spend time read actual technical sites on how things work rather than hoping for magically boxes to fix your problem.

There is no way to solve the problem of the house you live in absorbing the wifi signals. I have told you the solution but you seem to think there is something other than the repeater that works like crap.

kanewolf

Titan
Well I was assuming a wireless router would be able to connect to the other one thus internet, though who knows i'm just the clueless guy here. Judging from your smartass tone, it's decently safe to say you aren't too much of a professional yourself. I don't know how one is waving their dicks around when the proof is literally right there on the videos lol, showing the whole setup and whatnot. I don't think i'm in the wrong by simply asking how to get closer to the numbers they're getting using Wifi 6, though I do think you've made an ass of yourself so I can't say I'll really be taking any solid advice from you. Does anybody have any useful modern information?
There are lots of "proof" videos about UFOs. Is someone with a PHD in astrophysics, calling BS on them "not much of a professional"? That is the equivalent of your statement.
Making your assumption that a "wireless router would be able to connect to the other one" shows how little technical knowledge you have. WIFI input to a home router is an uncommon feature. It does exist and second source firmware makes it more likely.
Having a WIFI6 card in your PC provides NO BENEFIT if your router is not WIFI6. You could have saved some money.
Even if you have a WIFI6 router and configure it for 160Mhz channel width, it won't work well from "50 feet away and through some wood and drywall ".
WIFI will ALWAYS be the worst possible network method for a gamer. It is just slightly better than "two tin cans and wet string". If you want performance, get a wire from your brothers room to yours.

USAFRet

Titan
Well I was assuming a wireless router would be able to connect to the other one thus internet, though who knows i'm just the clueless guy here.
Router-------------------------------------------------------------------PC................Crappy signal and performance
Router-------------------------------------------------------------------Router -PC................Equally crappy performance.

A router in the same place as the PC won't get any better than the PC does now.
The house and all that stuff in the middle is the problem.

TRENDING THREADS