Need your Opinion...Should I or Shouldn't I?!

old-skool-gamer

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
First of all, Hi guys!
I've been frequenting this site for all sorts of computer related info for a loooong loooong time, reading these forums has usually helped me in making decisions. So Thank you all! =)

I find myself at a little crossroad at the moment regarding Graphic Cards...Im hoping to get some opinions on what is a better option. I am not a complete n00b but I'm also not a guru...so...the situation..

==================================
I have 2 Gigabyte HD7970 GHz edition crossfired.
I have the option to swap these 2 cards for a single Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming card.

my question is....Should I or shouldnt I??
==================================

---- Quick Info ----
EP45T-DS3R motherboard with Q9550 6GB 1333 DDR3 RAM. ...keeping it old school!! =P
850W power supply.

...disclaimer...just so you dont think im a complete idiot!! hahaha!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motherboard is PCI Gen2...while the cards are all Gen 3... sooo...none will run at full capacity....i know this!!
Also, I dont plan on upgrading anytime soon.. Nothing is overclocked...yet!! this mobo, cpu still has abit of potential I think.
I havent been gaming in a few years, but I do play the occasional RPG or shooters.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

pcie 2.0 x16 is enough for any card, the problem lies when you go under 2.0 x8 speeds

looking at your mobo specs it runs both cards at 8x,8x which is fine

that said your cpu is quite long in the tooth, which IS holding back your CF setup

BUT, you dont really game that much, so a single 980 is the better choice even though it is not as fast an CF 7970's

because of no CF issues, MUCH lower power consumption/heat, and nvidia cards help weaker cpu's by lowering overhead

and in the future after upgrading your setup you can sli gtx 980's

Solution

old-skool-gamer

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Thanks for the replies guys.

@hang-the-9 - i am not looking to upgrade specifically, this option for the swap just came to me so I thought I'd ask other people's opinions, as to what they would do, or suggest to do.

@maxalge - My thoughts are somewhat the same as you. Because im not a serious gamer, I dont really need the crossfire. I know the GTX is better than a single 7970, but not better than crossfire...i just dont know by "how much"!

Even tho I dont "need" the pixel pushing power at the moment...I still feel abit uneasy about going "backwards" in a sense... know what I mean?

I wish I could post a POLL go get a general consensus on what you fellas on here would do in my situation...but replies are better to hear your reasoning!! hahaha!

There is likely no benefit to doing a change aside from getting a newer card and if you want to switch to nVidia. There will be 0 change in your system as far as speed goes, the CPU is slower than what even a single 7970 can run on.

old-skool-gamer

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Well the decision has been made for me yesterday unfortunatelly...the GTX has been sold! hahaha!!
Ohh well, missed out this time. Bit of mixed feelings about it, hahaha! but overall im ok with it!

Thanks for your opinions guys. =)
If it wasnt sold, I probably would have done the swap...so, i guess i'll mark maxalge as the answer. Or just delete this thread, since it probably wont be much use to anyone. hahaha!

cheers guys!

TRENDING THREADS