Needing help with a build for 1440p 144hz gaming.

Jun 28, 2018
I am creating a gaming pc. I have a few questions on which ram I should pick and if my power supply is adequate. I'm also a little stumped on what case fans to get as the ones in my case would not stand a chance cooling this beast of a thing. I'm not looking for the best of the best parts but am looking for a solid option for 1440p 144hz gaming. I already have a case and other necessities but here is the build..
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4GTK7W

Hopefully someone who has more experience with all of the gaming tech could help me out. I'm pretty new to this whole gaming pc thing.

Thank you for your time!

Edit: I also was wondering if 165hz gaming would be worth more money and less FPS or is 165 unnoticeable between that and 144..? Thanks again!

Solution
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VKtZQZ

Ive changed it a bit for you, instead of the 7700k, I gave you an i7 8700k, which is a 6 core and it is a good bit more powerful than the 7700k and I've changed the gtx 1080 for a 1080ti, so again a good bit more performance there, especially for that 144hz mark you want to hit.
Ive also changed the motherboard since an i7 8700k needs a z370 chipset for overclocking, the one one chose is a bit cheaper than the one you had, the money saved on the motherboard allows you to get a 1080ti instead of a normal 1080 :)

Its a bit more expensive but much stronger than the setup you previously had. but for 75$ more you get a 6 core cpu instead of 4 core and a 1080ti instead of 1080 so it's a good deal. :)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VKtZQZ

Ive changed it a bit for you, instead of the 7700k, I gave you an i7 8700k, which is a 6 core and it is a good bit more powerful than the 7700k and I've changed the gtx 1080 for a 1080ti, so again a good bit more performance there, especially for that 144hz mark you want to hit.
Ive also changed the motherboard since an i7 8700k needs a z370 chipset for overclocking, the one one chose is a bit cheaper than the one you had, the money saved on the motherboard allows you to get a 1080ti instead of a normal 1080 :)

Its a bit more expensive but much stronger than the setup you previously had. but for 75$ more you get a 6 core cpu instead of 4 core and a 1080ti instead of 1080 so it's a good deal. :)

Solution

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
No need for a 750W Power Supply. 750W is mostly for dual GPU setups and with SLI not being supported by most of the games, I wouldn't even recommend an SLI setup. Go for a 550W if you plan on keeping all the components at stock speeds, 650W if you want to overclock.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ B&H)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-28 07:00 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-28 07:00 EDT-0400

Would not recommend the EVGA SuperNOVA G3 because it has an aggressive fan curve and the fan can be noisy at times.

What case do you have? Most of the time any decent Case fan would be good enough. I like some Fractal Design Dynamic series for all round use and be quiet silent wings 3 for quiet operation.

The change between 165Hz and 144Hz cannot be noticed by the untrained eye. As you are new to gaming, 144Hz is the way to go. Also, hdgaming made some pretty nice changes to your build. I would certainly recommend the 1080Ti, but for the CPU, i7s are kinda pointless these days IMO. If you need high core/thread counts for streaming or other multi threaded tasks, the Ryzen 7 2700 is a much better deal. If you are planning to game only, then go with an i5 8600k and save about $100 on the CPU. the 8600k is more than enough for gaming even for the future. It can be overclocked close to 5GHz when delidded and unlike previous i5s, its has 6 cores and 6 threads which provides a little more strength to it.

He can certainly do with a 550w psu indeed, I went for the i7 since the budget stayed kind of the same. Even the i5 8600k are sometimes already running at 100% usage and wont allow for much multitasking where the i7 has more raw power for now and the future, I also agree that the 2700x is a very good option, but for gaming the i7 8700k is still king and if he can afford it he might aswell go for it, he won't regret it. :)

Jun 28, 2018
Thanks for all your help! I am doing some recording for a youtube channel and will probably be streaming high demanding games in the future. I just barely realized that before, my build minimum wattage needed was 338 so I kinda went a little overboard there. I think I will go with the setup hdgaming set me up with as I am sure ill be doing heavy gaming whilst recording and maybe even stream in the future.

Edit: Quick question, is there any fan controller you would recommend?