Question Needing RAM Configuration Help

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
* My PC specs are in my signature

I want to add 3 more of the exact same corsair RAM sticks to the mobo. But is it OK to do so since each of the 3 channels will have two 1600MHz Corsair RAM sticks? I ask this because in the user manual for the mobo, it says that "Due to intel spec definition, X.M.P DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only." But the OP in a forum post over at the Corsair user forums installed this 24 GB kit (Corsair CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9) which is a 6 x 4GB kit, and he had no issues with his PC which has an intel i7 processor.

The manual also says that "for system stability, use a more efficient memory cooling system to support a full memory load (6 DIMMS) or overclocking condition." I'm not going to overclock the CPU so should I be concerned with getting a RAM cooler? Apparently, that same Corsair forum user in that forum post did not report any issues even without a cooler. At least that's what I'm inferring from him not reporting anything to that effect.

Since I am not overclocking the CPU, should I not enable X.M.P. in the BIOS? Even if I'm not overclocking the CPU, will enabling X.M.P. offer any performance improvements?

What is the max RAM capacity for my mobo? I can't seem to find this info anywhere in the manual or online. It is the Asus P6T (not the SE or Delux versions). Actually, this forum post at Corsair's user forums says that it only supports 12GB max but that it should work with 24GB also (although I wouldn't know if I have to tweak the BIOS to make it work). One user there suggested getting a 3 x 8GB kit so it "won't push the imc so hard by using a 6 x 4GB kit".

I think only some RAM stick make and models can occupy all 6 RAM slots on this mobo at the same time. In other words only some sticks can occupy all 6 slots at the same time with the exact same type/make/model and size of RAM. Is this accurate? I don't think CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B supports 6 slot concurrent occupancy.

Finally, do I need to clear the CMOS when I add the 3 additional RAM sticks? According to that Corsair forum post, it seems like that user did clear it when he installed his RAM sticks. He cleared it before and also after installing the RAM.

Thanks.

You can have all your ram modules be 1600MHz, that's actually preferred. And yes, in the bios set your ram configuration to XMP settings. Of course your board doesn't natively have 1600 Support, so you'll have to manually set the infinity fabric clock 800MHz to get a 1:1 ratio. Setting XMP will definitely give you a performance boost than compared to leaving to at default.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
You can have all your ram modules be 1600MHz, that's actually preferred. And yes, in the bios set your ram configuration to XMP settings. Of course your board doesn't natively have 1600 Support, so you'll have to manually set the infinity fabric clock 800MHz to get a 1:1 ratio. Setting XMP will definitely give you a performance boost than compared to leaving to at default.

How do I set the infinity fabric clock to 800MHz? And my CPU only supports up to 1033MHz for the RAM. So would enabling XMP or modifying the infinity fabric clock have any improved performance benefits?

Last edited:
How do I set the infinity fabric clock to 800MHz? And my CPU only supports up to 1033MHz for the RAM. So would enabling XMP or modifying the infinity fabric clock have any improved performance benefits?

Looks like your CPU only supports up to 1066MHz actually. Then you should not set your RAM higher than that or wast money on RAM higher than that. You will suffer latency from your CPU. Forget about the infinity fabric interconnect speed and just get ram rated at 1066MHz. Your Motherboard is able to support RAM at a speed of 1600 when overclocking your ram to 1600 either by XMP or manually, but if your CPU doesn't support those speeds then it would be no use since you can't utilize it effectively.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Looks like your CPU only supports up to 1066MHz actually. Then you should not set your RAM higher than that or wast money on RAM higher than that. You will suffer latency from your CPU. Forget about the infinity fabric interconnect speed and just get ram rated at 1066MHz. Your Motherboard is able to support RAM at a speed of 1600 when overclocking your ram to 1600 either by XMP or manually, but if your CPU doesn't support those speeds then it would be no use since you can't utilize it effectively.

I have 3 x 4gb 1600MHz sticks in slots 2, 4, and 6 in there right now. I have had them in there since 2008 and it has not caused any CPU performance issues at all, including latency issues as far as I know. It seems fast to me, especially with the new Samsung 860 EVO SSD drive I installed just a week ago.

I have 3 x 4gb 1600MHz sticks in slots 2, 4, and 6 in there right now. I have had them in there since 2008 and it has not caused any CPU performance issues at all, including latency issues as far as I know. It seems fast to me, especially with the new Samsung 860 EVO SSD drive I installed just a week ago.

Probably not getting full performance out of them but if you can support 1600MHz then you shoudl be fine populating the other DIMM slots with 1600MHz ram sticks of the same model.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Probably not getting full performance out of them but if you can support 1600MHz then you shoudl be fine populating the other DIMM slots with 1600MHz ram sticks of the same model.

Ok. But I'm still not sure how much the max ram capacity is for my mobo. The manual doesn't state it, and Google gives mixed results with some saying 12GB and others saying 24GB.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
It's 24GB, this is also determined by the CPU/chipset. Check out your CPU's mainpage to see that.

I enabled XMP in the BIOS and the PC kept rebooting at the asus logo screen. I turned XMP off and it was able to boot up fine. I wonder if my CPU is not able to overclock or the RAM does not support XMP, although the BIOS did display the ram info when I enabled XMP. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the 3 sticks of RAM in there right now support XMP.

I enabled XMP in the BIOS and the PC kept rebooting at the asus logo screen. I turned XMP off and it was able to boot up fine. I wonder if my CPU is not able to overclock or the RAM does not support XMP, although the BIOS did display the ram info when I enabled XMP. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the 3 sticks of RAM in there right now support XMP.

It does say on the CPU's main page that it DOESN'T OFFICIALLY support 1600MHz memory, only 1066 max. So that's probably why.

https://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Asus/Asus_P6T/13/Compatible_CPUs

Here's a list of all compatible CPU with your board, none of the i7's support 1600 speeds, even teh XEONS only reach up to 1366. And while the motherboard does OFFICIALLY support 1600MHz RAM, the CPU's will have to be overclocked on the fabric interconnect to reach a 1:1 ratio to the ram speed that you set it to, either XMP or manual.

I'd just recommend upgrading the components. You can achieve so much more performance nowadays with even the low-tier spectrum of components.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
It does say on the CPU's main page that it DOESN'T OFFICIALLY support 1600MHz memory, only 1066 max. So that's probably why.

https://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Asus/Asus_P6T/13/Compatible_CPUs

Here's a list of all compatible CPU with your board, none of the i7's support 1600 speeds, even teh XEONS only reach up to 1366. And while the motherboard does OFFICIALLY support 1600MHz RAM, the CPU's will have to be overclocked on the fabric interconnect to reach a 1:1 ratio to the ram speed that you set it to, either XMP or manual.

I'd just recommend upgrading the components. You can achieve so much more performance nowadays with even the low-tier spectrum of components.

I bought and installed 3 more 4GB DIMMs for a total of 24GB. Fortunately, the computer booted up fine and windows recognizes 24GB of RAM. Thanks for the help!