Question Neeed CPU and MOBO for GTX980ti Strix OC

spacemanjupiter

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I have an old 890fxa GD65 and fx8350 CPU. However, the CPU seems to be too old to keep up with the GPU. It does seem like a couple of cores on the CPU have gone bad, and the mobo SATA ports are starting to fail. The system was hit by a power surge long ago so there is damage. My goal is to play every game maxed out (or close to it) at a fairly solid 60 fps with vsync at 1080p. The GPU was in a system with a newer 8700k, and I could do this with every game at 1200p, so I just need a CPU that can keep up. The GPU is now in the much older fx8350 system and I just can't hit 60 consistently anymore and really tired of the screen tearing as well.

So, I have a case, 750w power supply, 16gb DDR3, 840 Pro SSD for the OS. I really didn't want to buy more RAM and thought maybe I could just find an old DDR3 mobo with a better cpu. This is for my roommate and she isn't a big gamer (yet) so I don't want to put too much money into it but I want her to have a good first impression with PC gaming. She knows what crappy frame times and screen tearing look like.

My question is, what should I do? Find an old DDR3 mobo and combo, or something newer? Any suggestions on a cheap combo that will definitely provide enough speed for a solid 60 at 1080p?

spacemanjupiter

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
After a very quick look online:

ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 70$
Ryzen 3 3300X 120$
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 80$

I never thought about this til now but I could probably just buy a Gsync monitor and be done instead of buying new components. It's the screen tearing and stuttering I get from anything below 60 that bothers me (and now her since I have pointed these things out constantly). A gsync monitor should take care of these issues. Even if the FPS dips below 60 it would still look and feel good. As it is, these games only seem to barely dip below 60 at times, but that of course causes lots of screen tearing and stuttering.