[SOLVED] Negative/Positive pressure issue

MK7

Aug 19, 2021
hi guys, I’m new to pc building I have been doing my research for the last two months based on this forum, Reddit, and LTT as well as YouTube videos from nexus and jayz and some LTT and I’d say I have a “fairly” good understanding I’ve gone from a pre built pc to rebuilding it with a new case due to thermals not being very good. The case I had was so bad that I couldn’t even find a single review/forum post on it when I was trying to figure out which aio to fit in. Anyways, I’m swerving away from the subject a little. Due to gamernexus’ video I ended up going with the P500A from Phanteks, thermals have dropped significantly my 9900k running at 4.8 on all cores doesn’t go past 45 degrees c with an arctic liquid freezer 2 280mm aio front mounted as pull. And gpu temps max of 50 whilst playing warzone which I imagine is a fairly intensive game, it was on console anyway.

current set up for cooling is 280mm aio front mounted (tubes down) static pressure fans (obviously) and a 120mm intake at the bottom which is from the a400 antec that was on an air cpu cooler I believe this is an airflow fan based on looking at the design, currently set to 1800rpm max. I don’t know if anyone has this case, but the fan is so low that it’s almost just blowing air into the bottom of the case where the psu is, some does indeed blow in as I put my hand there but not a lot. Better than nothing I suppose.

I have 2 x 140mm exhaust fans Arctic 140mm static pressure one top and one at the back. I’ve noticed a huge amount of dust build up in less than a week I’ve had to wipe my case and gpu, also the front mesh has to be wiped daily! I initially had the rpm set up around 1450 for exhaust and the intake as 1500 for the aio (generally leaving this as max as it controls the pump too) my question is what rpm should I set my exhaust too? Should I not use static pressure exhaust fans and use the 140mm airflow ones that came with the case?

or should I use just one exhaust fan and keep the same rpm? I’ve noticed that when I lowered my exhaust fans from 100% to around 80% the dust is slightly less should I maybe go down as low as 60%?

I hope I’ve not rambled on too long and this has given you the information required.
As this was a cooling thread and I have no issue with my gpu temps/cpu I don’t know if you’d need to know the rest of my specs but if so, cpu 9900k as mentioned (doesn’t run as hot as people seem to think or not in my experience anyway)

3070 msi gaming x trio gpu

mobo z390 mpg gaming plus from msi

aio 280mm arctic liquid freezer 2

Solution
intake 2 x 140 + 120mm
exhaust 3 x 140mm

Do you want positive or negative pressure? As right now its probably negative, probably helps explain dust build up as well.

You probably don't need 3 140mm exhausts, regardless of fan types. I would remove both of them from top and see how it goes.

Not sure how useful that 120mm is. generally helps to have more in than out, but that 120 isn't going to be able to equal a 140mm exhaust.

i have similar setup, I have 2 x 120mm AIO fans as intake and 3 x 140mm exhaust fans, but I don't run AIO at max fan speed, I run it at quiet instead so my pressure is questionable - never had to clean front of case so I don't think it does a lot. No idea what speed top fans run at as they are not pwm fans...

Colif

Win 11 Master
intake 2 x 140 + 120mm
exhaust 3 x 140mm

Do you want positive or negative pressure? As right now its probably negative, probably helps explain dust build up as well.

You probably don't need 3 140mm exhausts, regardless of fan types. I would remove both of them from top and see how it goes.

Not sure how useful that 120mm is. generally helps to have more in than out, but that 120 isn't going to be able to equal a 140mm exhaust.

i have similar setup, I have 2 x 120mm AIO fans as intake and 3 x 140mm exhaust fans, but I don't run AIO at max fan speed, I run it at quiet instead so my pressure is questionable - never had to clean front of case so I don't think it does a lot. No idea what speed top fans run at as they are not pwm fans. Only spots I ever get any dust is on the top exhaust fans, it gathers in the mesh on top of case. I too should remove one fan but it doesn't seem to make a big difference. It would likely make PC quieter if anything.

Last edited:
Solution